Diamond help

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So we have a few stones in question. The one I am posting I have done everything I could research on about testing them. I just tried a grease test with a board coated in axle grease and a handful of quartz and other items. I set it at an angle and used a hose to let water stream down. All the stones rolled down except for one. Under a 10x mag it looks really nice and all edges are smooth and not rough. When doing a water test it wicks water away like it is coated with rainx. I am trying to figure it out before going to a geologist. The weight was .8 grams. Fingers crossed. Also, if this would be real do diamonds tend to be in pockets or close together? I just can't imagine this would be the lone stone.

RS

Attachments

• 20150709_222502.jpg
    20150709_222502.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 20150709_222804.jpg
    20150709_222804.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 20150709_222530.jpg
    20150709_222530.jpg
    583.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 20150709_222718.jpg
    20150709_222718.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 180

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MY first inclination is to say no, but if it were mine, I'd take it to a jeweler and have it tested. Another way to get an idea is to do a specific gravity test. Diamonds are 3.54. If the SG is close to that, and it will easily scratch into quartz, you may have a diamond. The smooth edges bother me, as diamond is extremely hard, and rarely gets smoothed out as it travels in the stream. Diamonds are also usually symmetrical also, unless you find a broken piece. You should also examine it under a magnifying glass, or microscope, to look for "trigons", which are raised, or depressed tiny triangles on the surface.
Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your response. I plan on going tomorrow to have it looked at. It seems the edges are smooth and not rough and I did try and scratch quartz and it did gouge it as well. I decided to take my small torch to it and measure the heat with a laser temp gun. The range went to about 175 and dropped quickly down to about 78. I know that is kind of a redneck way but I figured diamond would disperse heat quickly. I wasn't looking for this since I was just panning for gold but this caught my eye.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area my wife and I are working seems to be some kind of a hydrothermal area. We are finding material that indicate this and it raised my suspicion if this could also produce diamond. It is fun to hope but I am not banking the farm on it. Why can't I be the redneck on tv that gets rich off a rock ;)

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL...maybe you will be! All the best.
Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: called a jewelry store and asked to have my wife's engagement ring looked at. So I went to the store and the gentleman looked it over and broke out the loupe and said he wasnt sure at first. He then said oh yes this is real. I take it he spotted the engraving on the diamond. We both know it is real and have the papers. So anyway, I asked if he could look at a loose stone. He told me yes. I handed it to him and he examined it and then looked at it with the loupe. He was very curios and didnt say much when looking at it.
He looked at me and said " where did you find this" well me being me I said "that is the million dollar question. I found it in my backyard." His look changed quickly after that. He said "I will test it in the back."
He walked back and about a minute later a woman came up and told me I t wasn't real.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guys phone cut me off.
So my thing is this. All test at home seem legit. Grease tests etc. What got me was the guy was very nice until I told him I found it in my backyard. I guess he thought I was an ahole or maybe I had stolen it. I think I am going to buy a tester online and use it. I may head into Charlotte this week and go to a reputable place and ask them.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll be interested in the results of further tests. Good luck.
Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jim. I had a guy check a few with a tester and they failed :( although he wasn't to sure on how to work it. We had to youtube it. I am still on the fence and would like to do a gravity test. With the gravity test where would I acquire the specific fluid needed or can I use anything from home? The gentleman was a really great guy and knew more about gold mining than diamonds. I even ended up buying a highbanker from him and a classifier so not all is lost. I plan on buying a tester to have here for my kit. You never know ;)

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You simply use water. What you're doing is comparing the weight in air to the weight in water.
Jim

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's one SG testing video on Youtube:

The procedure is simple. You weigh the rock dry. Then you put a container, with enough water to submerge the rock, on the scale and zero the scale. Now you submerge the rock in the water, as shown. Write down the result. Then you divide the dry weight by the result submerged, and that gives you the SG.
Jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm going prospecting, so won't be checking back 'til the end of the week. Good luck.
Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: I took it to a really nice jeweler and he once again asked where I found it. I told him my backyard. He said and I quote "if you told me it was from Africa I would say it is real"
So, since it isn't a blood diamond it isn't real. And since it is from NC it is fake.
I tried the water test and it came back dead on. So now I just need a reliable gemologist to take it to so I can make sure.

Upvote 0

Nappy701

Dec 7, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it could be a herkimer diamond? Anyways u will have a very hard time getting a jeweler to admit its a diamond lots are controled by masons and what have u..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I have a tester now. Just a simple handheld unit. I have dug in the same spot a few times since and classified the stuff down and tested them.
Okay, so the one in question went straight to red. The thing is with the stone it isn't polished so I have to find a clear spot on it and she pegs out. I tried to clean it with a light speed dremel tool and it destroyed the sander and it would not polish. I don't want to over due it just in case. I mean at 4ct. I would probably have a heart attack. Also, the other stones I found in the same area 4 tested as good. I tried various levels of the settings and they all still read the same.
My next game plan is to find a gemologist and I have a shaving kit from WW2 and I figure I can put them in there and say my great uncle was in Africa during the war.
Do diamond's value

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the value of a diamond stay the same no matter where they are found? I know Africa is diamond rich but NC diamonds are supposed to be rare. Just curious if the location affects the value.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread