Nice little agate I found yesterday

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to share this little agate I found in a field while I was looking for artifacts. The pictures do not do it justice. It would be great to find a nice artifact but finds like this one keep me from getting bored. :)

Agate-OrangeGreen-2015-07-08-Img_6889SSS.jpg

Agate-OrangeGreen-2015-07-08-NQ-Img_6889SSS.jpg

I hope you enjoy. Happy hunting!

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is nice and I know you are still hunting that first relic. What you really want to find is a point made out of this stone. Keep Looking. You Will Find It!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve! Oddly enough my first artifact find is very nicely banded agate. That is what made me keep it. It is either a broken piece of something or maybe a small scraper. It wasn't until this last winter that I got the crazy idea of going through my agate collection seeing if anything was worked and realized I had something worth looking in to. There is a lot of good material around here. I can hardly wait to find out what my first point will be made of. My guess is it will be agatized coral, then I will struggle as I decide which forum it belongs in. ;)

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gotta like that one, for sure. Should polish up nice!
Jim

Upvote 0

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Brazilian agate to me

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lake superior agates can come in all sorts of colors. Red and orange are dominant due to a significant amount of iron in the area. You also get brown, white, pink, green, yellow and sometimes blue.

I just might face polish this one but overall I am undecided. At the very least I will enjoy it in its natural form for a while.

If weather holds up I might have to go on a long overdue agate hunt Saturday.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread