So, I took these to a gemologist. What she old me was surprising.

wondertuckian

Mar 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I took these to a gemologist. What she told me was surprising.

So, I dug this rock up a while ago, and it's been at the edge of my driveway for a while. Got to looking at it the other day and something just didn't look right. I had thought the small crystals in the rock were quartz, but upon closer inspection, there are some that seem to be octahedrons. So, I took it to a local jewelry shop and the gemologist put one under a microscope and said she thinks it might be opal. So, I asked her if she'd ever heard of opal in the area and she asked me where I got this from.
Me."My backyard."
Gemologist. "Well, it can't be opal, then."
Me."Well, what is it?."
Gemologist. "I don't know."

So.......what do you guys think?
FP Phone 2 007.jpg FP Phone 2 018.jpg FP Phone 2 019.jpg FP Phone 2 020.jpg FP Phone 2 022.jpg

Sorry Thread title should read: "So, I took these to a gemologist. What she told me was surprising."
not: "So, I took these to a gemologist. What she old me was surprising."

Last edited:

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I dug this rock up a while ago, and it's been at the edge of my driveway for a while. Got to looking at it the other day and something just didn't look right. I had thought the small crystals in the rock were quartz, but upon closer inspection, there are some that seem to be octahedrons. So, I took it to a local jewelry shop and the gemologist put one under a microscope and said she thinks it might be opal. So, I asked her if she'd ever heard of opal in the area and she asked me where I got this from.
Me."My backyard."
Gemologist. "Well, it can't be opal, then."
Me."Well, what is it?."
Gemologist. "I don't know."

So.......what do you guys think?
View attachment 1187976 View attachment 1187977 View attachment 1187978 View attachment 1187979 View attachment 1187980

Sorry Thread title should read: "So, I took these to a gemologist. What she told me was surprising."
not: "So, I took these to a gemologist. What she old me was surprising."

Why would it not be Opal because you found it in your back yard. Another opinion would be a thing to consider.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welp they are wrong...

Stone on far left in pic with the penny is a diamond :P

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just kidding btw... :P

Sure looks like one on the raw.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wondertuckian

Mar 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As to the hardness of the stone, it will put nice deep scratches in quartz. I have an extra piece of polished granite from when my kitchen countertops were installed that I checked on. I don't have anything that's really hard enough to check the streak color, unless you think a diamond knife hone would work? When I say it was in my backyard, I mean it was in the yard, 8-10 feet down, in an old stream-bed. The loose crystals in the pics were "eroded" from the matrix in a rock tumbler, including the one with the penny that "looks like a diamond". And that point was facing out when I started tumbling it. The gemologist did say she didn't believe it was quartz, based on the octahedral form, and after I mentioned that I extracted it with a rock tumbler said that it probably couldn't be opal, either, but, didn't want to speculate any further. She said she needed a flat polished surface to check further. All in all it was helpful in that we did at least eliminate a few possibilities.
Sorry to ramble, hope that helps.
And if any of you guys have a way to test it to say for certain what it is I could maybe put a couple in an envelope & mail it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wondertuckian

Mar 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was also wondering if you'd know of a better way of extracting these crystals. Even though it doesn't really seem to be rounding off the points or polishing them to any great extent, some of them have been broken by the process. I'd like to avoid that, if possible. Or, would it be better, assuming I can get this identified, to turn it into specimens? That piece in the picture is just a smaller fragment of what was a 1 pound rock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wondertuckian

Mar 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hadn't considered topaz, never heard of any in my neck of the woods. Which, btw. is NE Illinois. Doesn't mean it aint here, just never heard of any. :dontknow: I do know that there are diamonds nearby, the six-pack lamprophyre in Kenosha, WI is about thirty miles NE of me.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Hadn't considered topaz, never heard of any in my neck of the woods. Which, btw. is NE Illinois. Doesn't mean it aint here, just never heard of any. :dontknow: I do know that there are diamonds nearby, the six-pack lamprophyre in Kenosha, WI is about thirty miles NE of me.[/QUOTE

A lot of rocks in NE Ill were moved there by glacial activity which is why you have so many rock quarries. They might have come from way up North.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wondertuckian

Mar 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of rocks in NE Ill were moved there by glacial activity which is why you have so many rock quarries. They might have come from way up North.

Yeah, you'd think with all that there'd be more rock shops around. The gemologist suggested going to one. Closest one is 35 miles away. Just got back. What a waste of time. The kid working there was rude and clueless.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get a geologist to look at it. Doesn't look like diamond to me.

Spinel is also possible.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, you'd think with all that there'd be more rock shops around. The gemologist suggested going to one. Closest one is 35 miles away. Just got back. What a waste of time. The kid working there was rude and clueless.

Geologists have said the Ozark mountains extended into Ill but were ground down by the glaciers. Traveling into Mo and Ark the rock shops abound.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wondertuckian

Mar 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to make a run down to Maywood, IL today, stopped in at the Lizzadro Museum of Lapidary Art in Elmhurst. Their gemologist spent some time looking at these crystals and came to the conclusion that they are probably zircon, but recommended taking them to a place in Chi-town just to rule out a slight chance they're diamonds. It was definitely worth taking a couple mile detour to stop in there, just wish I'd had more time to wander around & check it out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wondertuckian

Mar 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I think I've come up with a reasonable plan of action, now that I've narrowed this down to zircon or diamond. I'm going to extract as many stones as I can in my rock tumbler and once I have enough loose stones, I can check to see what the specific gravity is. Hopefully we'll know more in a week or so.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread