What caused this pattern of weathering?

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Got a rock I found in a pile of landscaping rocks. It looked interesting so I picked it up to consult the experts. What type of weathering causes this?

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

Sorry, my wife's new puppy desperately wanted to help take these pictures..

IMG_0564.JPG

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking at rocks most of my life and never seen anything like that. Better pics for close up would help, but my first impression is of an Indian playing around with a drill and a bit consisting of a reed with sand being used as an abrasive to get that effect on the stone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I did my best, but my camera is only so good. I took these by taking pictures through a magnifying glass.

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

I'll go see if I can find any others. Maybe they'll be easier to see.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I went back out and surprise surprise, I couldn't find any rocks exactly like that one (I mean, it is a rock after all). A lot of them had pitting, but most just looked like holes whereas the ones on the rock I posted had a bit of a ring shape to them. I did find one other rock that has something that COULD be a large version of one of those pits, but please forgive me when I say that I don't know my head from my.. rock.. when it comes to rocks.

Here is a picture:

IMG_0600.JPG

There's just one of thing thing I'm talking about. It's centered more or less in the image. A ring of ridges (like on a Bingo chip) around a slightly raised center with about seven dots on it. Honestly this could be something completely different than the first picture, I have no idea.

That same rock had some other junk in it too. At least a few spots with ridges, couple angles here show 'em.

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

And a cheeky little pattern of weathering that looks like a bird walked in wet cement.

IMG_0605.JPG

This is all probably irrelevant but I like show and tell time?

Upvote 0

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me this resembles fossilized coral or something similar. I have seen similar pieces around here. It could have been tumbled in a river making it rounded with weaker details wearing quicker/breaking away leaving the pattern. Cool piece.

My cat often does the same thing as the puppy in the last pic when I am trying to photograph things. :D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread