Magnetic Anomilies

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Magnetite perhaps? See if it does the same to a compass.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I was prospecting with a friend in a mountain with a lot of trees when he asked what direction I was going. I looked at my compass and said West. He said his compass said East. We looked at the two and the needles would move in contradictory directions. So he asked his dog to lead the way.
I did some investigating later and learned load stone, the natural magnet, had been mined there in years past.
I did have an electronic backup but trying to puzzle it out was more interesting. And ya the dog knew the way out.

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an issue deer hunting one time where the compass told me I was walking 180' incorrect. I checked with another fellow and he had the same issue. When we got away from the area (200M), the compass corrected, so something was there influencing it. The only mines in the area were a small mica and a small feldspar (maybe 3 KM away). What I took from that is there is an anomaly that would be worthwhile checking out, but the land is private. There is no exposed bedrock, so I have not figured it out. The thing about anomalies is they are an indication, but require some field work to really know.

Upvote 0

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Magnetic fields have a north and south side to them, two souths put together will push away, as will two norths, try turning your magnet around.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions