I would like help identifying this rock please, thank you:)!

roro

Greenie
Apr 9, 2017
Humboldt County Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this rock while rock hounding in a new location. This rock does not appear in my home area I am traveling but I have a guess and a hope they might be basalt with possibly peridot.?. . Thank you for looking and helping me with you input!!!:) thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_4905.JPG
    IMG_4905.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 150

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seems unlikely to be basalt, looks metamorphic to me. No idea what it is. Can you whack of an edge and let us see the fresh surface?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

roro

Greenie
Apr 9, 2017
Humboldt County Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes i can do that in a couple of days. i have another one of this same rock but the color is less red and more grey.

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Pyrite with rhodocrosite. You need better pictures for a better id. Pour some acid on it, see if it reacts.

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Vinegar in you're case, just watch if it creates air bubbles at all. It generally reacts weakly with acids and more so with vinegar, so watch closely when you pour it.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know, doubt it's either pyrite nor rhodochrosite. The latter is associated with manganese minerals. Pyrite doesn't show vitreous luster.

I'm leaning more towards volcanic or a metamorphic rock.

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Scratch the yellowish, greenish white stuff over unglazed porcelain and see what color it leaves.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

roro

Greenie
Apr 9, 2017
Humboldt County Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay here i go... i did the vinegar test. It seemed to make a small amount of tine bubbles... I mean Very few i had my face really close to examine the process:) i have more pictures of the rock i question and pictures of the other rock that i believe to be the same. I did break off a small piece of the rock to try to see the natural surface.. we will see what you think.... thank you for your input i really appreciate it:)

View attachment DSC_0575.jpg View attachment DSC_0576.jpg View attachment DSC_0577.jpg View attachment DSC_0578.jpg View attachment DSC_0579.jpg DSC_0580.jpg DSC_0581.jpg DSC_0582.jpg View attachment DSC_0583.jpg DSC_0584.jpg

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I was off with my first estimate, if the bottom pictures are of the same rock at the top you first posted. I think i can help you, but first you need to tell me which is which. What rock is associated with what picture?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The last picture sure looks more like basalt with olivine.
If they indeed are related, talk about a visual difference, eh? This is one reason we typically want to see freshly exposed rocks rather then weathered ones.:occasion14:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

roro

Greenie
Apr 9, 2017
Humboldt County Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first 5 photos are of the second rock that i believe to be the same as the first ... photo 6 is both rocks together..... The last 4 photos are of the first rock i posted in the beginning:) Thank you!!!

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you somehow get the picture in focus everything is out of focus except the extreme center?
Find a peace of porcelain. Also find a steel knife and a peace of quartz.

Upvote 0

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to go with andesite with augite or even basanite

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions