Shiny black rock?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ProspectingForStone
  • 2 Post By ProspectingForStone

Thread: Shiny black rock?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2018
    Rhode island
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Shiny black rock?

Can someone help identify? Canít break any pieces off but not giving it my all either. Found off niantic bay in Connecticut. Looks cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DFC01062-02D1-4105-BE15-1806291A7BBB.jpeg 
Views:	263 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	1566006  

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA)
    15688 times
    1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
    2nd - I moved from Today's Finds! over to Forum: Rocks/Gems for more exposure.
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

.:: Rules and Guidelines ::.
    .:: NOTICE - You must be a Charter Member to sell on Treasure Net (Forum: Charter Member Classifieds) - NOTICE ::.
    "...not my circus, not my monkeys..."

Mar 2018
    Rhode island
    No problem. Thanks a lot! I’m from Rhode Island, but found this in Niantic Connecticut

Nov 2017
    North East USA Maine
    Raider Gold, Old machine of my Father's
    38 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwh3785 View Post
    Can someone help identify? Canít break any pieces off but not giving it my all either. Found off niantic bay in Connecticut. Looks cool.
    It looks like it could be high grade Anthracite Coal, or if very hard even Jet.

Could you perhaps try something? If you could find a white tile- probably easier on a plain white tile, or perhaps it may even work on a piece of paper, or a large piece of quartz if you have one, but perhaps try and see if you can scratch the black rock against the tile surface.

See if you can get a dark colored streak out of it. If I remember correctly a blacker streak indicates coal, and a browner streak will likely indicate perhaps jet.

I could be wrong on this, I am unsure if my memory serves me correctly, anyone who may know please do correct me if I am wrong on that.

None the less try and see if you can get this black piece to make a mark on something like a light colored tile or quartz piece.

To me, my best guess would be Anthracite coal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Staff.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	1566063

It looks like the piece of Anthracite Coal on top of my Staff. That is why I feel coal is a possibility or Jet, high grade coal.

Perhaps others here have some more thoughts on this.

I am not an expert. I could be wrong.
    3cylbill and Clay Diggins like this.

Mar 2018
    Rhode island
    Well I didnít have a tile, but I scratched an X on this rock. Not sure what this rock is either. Sorry folks Iím a rookie. Thanks for all the help and info!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	546530BD-3898-4330-A3B4-7E96EFD8372E.jpeg 
Views:	165 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	1566075  

Nov 2017
    North East USA Maine
    Raider Gold, Old machine of my Father's
    38 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwh3785 View Post
    Well I didnít have a tile, but I scratched an X on this rock. Not sure what this rock is either. Sorry folks Iím a rookie. Thanks for all the help and info!!!
    Never be sorry for that man. We all have to start somewhere right?

Yes scratching the x is a very good indicator that what you have there is Anthracite Coal. I actually have no doubts there.

Finding it in Connecticut adds up as well. Eastern Northern states, especially Connecticut, Virginia, are very likely to have Anthracite about.

Coal while in the opinion of most probably isn't the most expensive find, it is none the less a practical material.

I personally delight when I find coal. Just that thing you want on hand to get a roaring fire going while out on a camping trip/ retreat, if you're into that sort of thing I guess.

Well that said, welcome here to treasure net, keep up exploring and looking for unique finds.

You never know.

Besides that it can definitely be fun.
    Clay Diggins and stdenis_jd like this.

Sponsored Links