What is this rock ?

ivobg

Jun 20, 2013
Forgot
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite heavy for its size, it has little sparkles and its not magnetic 20180318_132840.jpg 20180318_132846.jpg 20180318_132849.jpg 20180318_132918.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would have guessed either siltstone or mudstone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ivobg

ivobg

Jun 20, 2013
Forgot
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheked pictures of siltstone and mudstone, but petrified wood looks more close to it

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree except the bedding would be to complex and what appears to be the presence of SiO2?

Look at the first and last pic. Bedding looks simple enough.
Some presence of quartz is not unusual; in fact this is what made some of these useful for sharpening knives! (I use one in the kitchen; sharpening stone)

The unusual look might be due to some layers being more resistant to erosion then others. Thus the odd look.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
best bet is to do a hardness test on the non-weathered part of that rock, should be really close to 7 (6.5-7) as pet wood almost completely replaces its organic material with silica if I'm not mistaken.

Upvote 0

Ponchosportal

Nov 19, 2004
Primary Interest:
Other
Look at the first and last pic. Bedding looks simple enough.
Some presence of quartz is not unusual; in fact this is what made some of these useful for sharpening knives! (I use one in the kitchen; sharpening stone)

The unusual look might be due to some layers being more resistant to erosion then others. Thus the odd look.

There is nothing simple in bedding of the third photo. Nor is the deposition consistent with siltstone or mudstone.

The unusual look is absolutely because of slight differences in the competence/composition of the material resulting in the erosion you describe.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is nothing simple in bedding of the third photo. Nor is the deposition consistent with siltstone or mudstone.

The unusual look is absolutely because of slight differences in the competence/composition of the material resulting in the erosion you describe.

The third pic to me looks like it might indicate (low grade) hydrothermal alteration. If so, depositional characteristics might have been altered.
Note: perhaps I was mistaken on the other pics and we're seeing cleavage. (rather then bedding)

A Siliceous mud- or siltstone will also pass the hardness test if enough silica is present. (though likely thus bordering on sandstone?)

The 'grainy' and porous nature of the rock suggest sedimentary origins to me.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread