Very Heavy Rock (reposted)

JCinNJ

Jan 25, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I reposted this since I noticed I posted the same picture twice. My apologies.

Found this rock years ago at the beach on the Jersey Shore. Before I picked it up, I thought it was a piece of coal or a piece of jetty rock. It is way way heavier than coal and much heavier even than jetty rock. I had thought meteorite but it is not magnetic, does not read on a metal detector and has what appears to be small white crystals here and there on it. I have tried many times to break off a piece of it but could not get the smallest chip off it with a small sledge hammer. I am reluctant to even consider sending the whole rock to a geology department or lab. Although it apparently is not metal it sure feels like metal. It is a little smaller than a man's fist. I took geology 101, historical and environmental geology in college but that was long ago. I never thought of bringing in the rock to the class back then. And I have looked at a million pictures online and have not seen one that looks like this. I am assuming it is probably metamorphic or perhaps igneous but it certainly is not sedimentary.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks & HH!

- joe

Attachments

• heavy rock.jpg
    heavy rock.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 10,247
  • heavy rock 2.jpg
    heavy rock 2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 9,707

happyincal

Mar 20, 2015
Cal.
Detector(s) used
Falcon Gold Tracker MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found one just like it today (3/20/2015). very heavy size of your pic and weighs close to a pound with silver specks all over it. Have you identified it yet?

Upvote 0

patgunn

Dec 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi There All
Hope you are all doing good.
I have a question for all of you if you don,t mind me asking one.
I found this strange rock some years ago and it has been bugging me since what it is.
Do any of you know what this rock is as i have no idea lol.
It weighs just under 400g or just under 1 pound, and fits in the palm of my hand.
I am baffled as it is not magnetic and is to small and heavy to be a regular rock.
It has iron iron pyrite and quartz on it, and is brown in coulor, with cracks and feels very strong
I would be thankfull for any ideas to what this rock could be, as of the strange heavy weight on it.
Thank.s all

Patrick. IMG_4715.JPG IMG_4716.JPG IMG_4717.JPG IMG_4718.JPG

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd do better to post your own thread with this but seeing as its your first post Welcome to the forum patgunn.
As to what your showing and the description its likely that its compressed microcline pyrite with quartz as your observing. Pyrites and quartz are often together with other minerals and added weight can come from other minerals and metals that are associated with ores like that. Copper, lead, gold and silver are some as well as their telluride's. No real way to confirm those minerals without a small assay.

Upvote 0

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ik this is an old thread, but I figured I'd ask before I posted my own thread.... Did you ever ID this? Did any of the responders have luck identifying their items? I have a piece that fits the same profile. Heavy.....I mean seriously heavy for its size, black on all sides but the bottom, and appears to be completely covered in shiny pieces of metal that mimic the sparkle of a bunch of tiny diamonds when they catch light.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread