Antique ornate american Radiator heaters, sale? resale as antique, or hoard ?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Jul 2007
    central wa st
    garrett ace 250

Antique ornate american Radiator heaters, sale? resale as antique, or hoard ?

Hello, i am new to scrapping, first time i went out looking i found a old fancy radiator heater in a alley, i asked the owners if they wanted me to get it off there hands and they said they would be happy to, they also have about 8 more of them in the basement i am picking up tommorrow, , --- i am guessing these are cast iron,------ question for you guys, is should i try to sale them as antiques, i see another guy in my area trying to sale one that looks the same as mine for $450 obo-------- i will have 9 of these things tommorrow, , i am guessing they range in 250 lbs to 400 pounds each, ----- or do i sale now, the scrap yard said this will go in the steel/ tin, pile at 2 cents to 3 cents a pound-------- is cast iron considered the same price as steel and tin all the time ? if i hoard for later when price go up for steel how long do you guys think it will be,, will this still be categorized as steel and tin still when i take back to junkyard ?---------- thanks for your help i just want to get the most i can for these,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	2198 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	238218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	3438 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	238219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	4209 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	238220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.JPG 
Views:	3316 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	238221  

us
    Oct 2006
    3016 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Re: Antique ornate american Radiator heaters, sale? resale as antique, or hoard ?

dont scrap um sell um to a collector scrap prices are flat right now.

Jan 2008

Re: Antique ornate american Radiator heaters, sale? resale as antique, or hoard ?

I would not srap them. I have looked for used radiators before when remodeling houses. They are
    usually hard to come by. If I were you I would try to sell them. I would either contact a plumber, used/antique plumbing supply store, or Remodeling company. When I looked at them at a used plumbing supply store, I believe they were selling them for $20-$30 per rung. So the one you have pictured would probably sell for $350+ retail. Not saying you will get anywhere close to that, but you should be able to get way over scrap value.
    -Good Luck
    MNplumberman

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2008
    KANSAS CITY METRO
    SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
    371 times

DO NOT SELL FOR SCRAP PRICE!

I would have to call them architectural salvage items. Look in the yellow pages for such places. They should bring a premium price. If you sell them personally, you might get more. But a dealer of this stuff will probably buy them all at one time. $200.00 each is not out of the question. Look them over for cracks though. If they were left outside over a winter with water inside, some cracks may have occurred. The cracks will be easy to spot, look for lines on rust. You scored some Christmas money this time!!

us
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits."~Albert Einstein

Jan 2007
    Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
    405 times

I agree with the previous posters. On one episode of This Old House Norm visited an architectural salvage place in, I think, Boston and the owner told him that he paid $10 apiece for old radiators. It wasn't clear if the 10 bucks was for each section or each whole radiator. The owner also commented that he sends a lot of steam radiators to a buyer in the Netherlands who strips and cleans the units for resale there and throughout Europe. There are a lot of people restoring old homes and they can change the boiler systems to more efficient units and retain the hot water radiators.

Anyway, don't scrap; rescue.
    "Dobie created the HUNGER............Von Mueller said, EAT". comment by HELM Associates on the dedication page of their book, Treaasure Lead Generation.

Dec 2007
    Texas
    2 times

Do not scrap!
    1960Texan

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    138 times
    Banner Finds (1)

The old house resale / salvage places are all over the US...

The stuff is worth a bunch... more than scrap!

pg
    my favourite food is witchetty grubs

Jul 2008
    hound dog
    3 times

Scrap this junk. It's taking up valuable space in your basement.
    Rent out your saved space and make a killing.
    I freed my mind when I left god behind

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2998 times

There's a place in Orange California called Grandpa Snazzys. They buy radiators and most anything relating to vintage building parts furniture hardware etc. They have an awsome store! Might be worth giving them a call. If it's something they need or don't have you could turn a pretty penny even shipping FedEx heavy weight. Definately don't scrap them!
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Famous last words "Wow! Is that a meteor?"

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links