billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking it down and cutting into "Pizza Slices", it took most of the afternoon. As the dish sections were cut, they became more flexible. It will be interesting to see how much aluminum this 12ft. diameter dish will provide; certainly more than I could lift.....

The 12 aluminum wedges from the 12' diameter satellite dish weighed: 218 pounds.

The classification this aluminum sold under was: "Extruded Aluminum-- Painted" , so they paid .72-cents a pound. They unloaded it, weighed it, and paid $156.96 cash.

Attachments

• Copy of P1010272.JPG
    Copy of P1010272.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 3,937
  • Copy of P1010298.JPG
    Copy of P1010298.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,205

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
There's gold inside the black thing that is mounted in front of the dish and my understanding is that those old satellite dishes have much more gold in them than the smaller newer ones. Tear it apart and report back.

theirratonalist

Nov 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.72 cents per pound? Thats a really good price! Where about was this?

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
Scrapping them is the way to make a good buck you can get them to repay you by collecting solar energy. Those things make great water heaters. Paint the surface in reflective material or coat it with Mylar and what ever you want to heat place it in the location of the focal point. I have seen people heat food withthese too one man made a steam generator out of one. If you want to play with your scrap a little you might have some fun or even make it repay your for many years to come.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might try running a post or two on some of the Ham Radio sites. Might be a gotsta have for some ham operator. I saw an article where some ham took one & added what looked like a small bowtie antenna at the focal point to use for a WiFi antenna. Guess he wanted wireless from across the county. Wouldn't mind latching on to an aluminum one! The two I took down were expanded metal as thick as sheet metal. Only real profit was from the feedhorn Lna & control motor etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread