Anyone have advice for buying battery scrap?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I am wondering if anyone deals in lead acid batteries.

I finally found a good buyer located not to far away. I'm wondering if I can make a few extra bucks every so often buying and reselling batteries.

My interest is in trying to buy scrap batteries from repair shops, junkyards, etc., and then reselling them for a profit.

Will I be able to compete with the out of state buyers who have swamped the area junkyards looking to buy high end cores, like catalytic converters and transmissions?

Any ideas of how to find scrap batteries other than junkyards and repair shops?

Thanks in advance!!!

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
Clovis

You might try an ad in Craigs list. If you have a friend with a tow truck business, ask him how much he is getting for batteries and who he sells to. Towing yards usually are on top of who pays the most.

RandyD

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with local and neighboring towns' maintenance or sanitation departments. About this time of year, they have not only city wide, but also county wide "Clean Up Days", with designated lots or precinct barns for junk and waste. There are always old batteries that are placed on curbs, lots, and disposal areas during the time before they can haul all of it away.

Here are some thoughts about "after" you find the batteries....

When I was looking at large 6v deep-cycle batteries for a solar panel project, ones that weigh 110lbs each, I was told that the "core charge was $30 for each one, or it took three 12v car battery cores".... so these and golf cart deep cycle batteries are chocked full of lead, but much harder to find.

There will be personal Safety Issues with handling the acids, or acid disposal, and can get a person into some trouble. If your neighbors know and are worried about what you are doing...it takes only one phone call to turn your dream of some extra cash into a scary and costly nightmare.

When I was hunting just some good used batteries, I was told by a fellow that the time he took his old battery cores in when he bought new deep cycle batteries, due to the distance on rough roads, for safety and spill issues, he took them in empty. The battery store was a bit vocal about trading them in empty because part of their profit was also reselling the acid, too...

Let the forum know how things go in the coming months,

Bill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most batteries only have a shallow level of acid above the lead plates, so pouring the acid from a heavy old battery can cause you several problems....

I have no experience with that part. I would say you'll need at least protective gear varying between high top and covered leather/rubber boots, tight fitting gloves, goggles, and/or a full face shield for splattering acids.

Some batteries may still have a charge in them, so sparks from shorting the posts on some stray metal could cause a chance of fire...

Others should have more experience....

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you for all of your replies!!!

I agree...batteries can be a liability. I learned a few years ago that some scrap yards don't handle batteries for one reason: transportation.

If I understand this correctly, if a scrap yard in Missouri sells their scrap batteries to a place in California, the Missouri scrap yard is liable for them until they are unloaded and accepted by the buyer in CA. So, if the truck that is hauling the batteries is involved in an accident in Oklahoma, and acid is leaked out, the yard in Missouri is responsible for paying for the clean up.

It is a concern. I hadn't thought that the state DOT could crack down on me hauling scrap batteries in my old but trusty Chevy pick up.

I've read about some of the proper packing procedures for batteries, but it only takes one hard core cop to ruin anyone's day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread