Whats the law on roll-offs?

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
What's the law on roll-offs?

What generally is the law on diving roll-offs? I know each state and area may vary on laws, but I ask because they were cleaning out/remodeling the small building next to where I work and a roll-off they had on the edge of their property was full of scrap copper - pipes, coils, etc. Does it belong to the owner of the property? The owner of the roll-off? Has it been abandoned like ordinary garbage? I would appreciate your thoughts, or any experiences you have had.

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
Re: What's the law on roll-offs?

Find the person who rented the unit. You may save them some cash as you will lighten the load of the roll off depending on how the contract was written if they have to pay for weight

jhoff310

Jun 23, 2007

as a rule, it belongs to the owner of the dumpster company. Its the same as something sitting in the back of my pickup truck in a parking lot. If its in my truck or their dumpster it is theirs. If if was full of copper, pipe, coils etc.. more than likely the dumpster co. was hauling it for scrap value. Possession is 9/10 of the law be careful

Jeff

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia

contact the property owner. They may be paying by the ton for the trash to be hauled off. You can save them a fortune if they are.
As an example I saw a place that was being charged $35.00 a ton plus the roll off fee. They had 2 large roof top air conditioner units plus some pipes that they were going to pay to haul off!

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I doubt if it was being hauled to the dump, it is someones copper and if you "steal" it, you might be in a world of troble. You can always ask, and if your lucky, you will get a bunch of valuable metal; but more than likely, its got an owner already, and he is getting ready to cash in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread