Is there any money in scrapping a Commercial copy machine

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've been in the printing industry for 17+ years.

One copy shop I know routinely scraps copiers, but in the past, it has been a "we don't have much else to do right now so we are scrapping it out" mentality. I know they have given away quite a few copiers...IBM Docutech style machines...to other scrappers. This tells me that there isn't big money in copier scrapping because they gave it away, but there is some money in it because others have happily taken them.

There should be plenty of insulated copper wire in the harnesses, and some scrap aluminum. If this machine has a monitor, the monitor could have some copper inside...but I've never scrapped a monitor. There should be some circuit boards too, but those might be better off sold on ebay, if you want to try it. If you have a yard that buys steel, that is a plus...even though these are like dryers...lots of bulk and not a ton of steel.

Keep us posted. This is something I'd like to learn more about.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
clovis97 said:

One copy shop I know routinely scraps copiers, but in the past, it has been a "we don't have much else to do right now so we are scrapping it out" mentality. I know they have given away quite a few copiers...IBM Docutech style machines...to other scrappers. This tells me that there isn't big money in copier scrapping because they gave it away, but there is some money in it because others have happily taken them.

There should be plenty of insulated copper wire in the harnesses, and some scrap aluminum. If this machine has a monitor, the monitor could have some copper inside...but I've never scrapped a monitor. There should be some circuit boards too, but those might be better off sold on ebay, if you want to try it. If you have a yard that buys steel, that is a plus...even though these are like dryers...lots of bulk and not a ton of steel.

Keep us posted. This is something I'd like to learn more about.

I just googled your copier. It is a small machine. The machines I was talking about are big machines, many of them longer than a car.

If you can't sell it as a running copier, I strongly suggest you part out the good components on ebay. $$$

OP
OP
T

Toofason

Mar 25, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I will most likely be able to flip it for under a hundred. Just thought if there was some surprise material in there, it might be worth more than that.

Thanks

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish they were worth Something Also.

Paid $35 for this one several years ago,
Stapels couldn't even Find the Ink cartridges.

(Although now that I Have a Computer it Can be
found Online.

However I
Bought a Can of powdered Ink to refill the cartridge.
must have been the wrong grain
ended up In places inside, That will take a
Major cleaning.

as you can see from the Manual the whole
thing is a dust Collector

& Yes Very heavy

LastScandd.jpg

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clovis97 said:
Only 17 years? ;D Makes me feel old. I started as a pressman in 1979 and quickly got into the front office doing estimating. That is what I should be doing right now :tongue3: so back to work.

Hope your shop is keeping it's head above water. A lot of our competition have closed their doors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread