Has anyone any experience with this wire stripper?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This looks pretty simple and well built.

468660832_o.jpg

I am getting tired of taking in insulated copper wire and found this machine on ebay for $100 (free ship) I get my fair share of heavier wire and there is no way I will strip by hand.

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
I worked at a outfit that made bus wire harnesses for a spell.

We had a few like that.

They work fine on new wire but any kinks or hard bends are going to put a damper on your scamper.

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I bought that a few months ago.
I don't get as much wire as I used to, but its well worth it.
Its also so much easier to store bare wire than insulated if you choose to wait before selling the scrap....

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been waiting to strip my wire. If you strip it all at once it will be clean and bright.
If you leave it around after stripping it it turns darker and the scrap yard will rip you off by
giving you a lower price for the darker wire (at least this is what happened to me in San Diego)

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
That tool look handy I just take a utility knife and drag it along the top like you would peel and apple and then pull the remaining cover off but only on the solid wire or thick like stove and dryer cords or jumper cables. what is the name of that stripper?

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank1960 said:
That tool look handy I just take a utility knife and drag it along the top like you would peel and apple and then pull the remaining cover off but only on the solid wire or thick like stove and dryer cords or jumper cables.

I like the look of that stripper too. I'm still using the box-cutter, kinda like, like franklin1960, out in the driveway, so I can clean up all the plastic. My hubby brings in massive amounts of wiring, from off remediation/clean-up jobs. Two summers ago, we were making more per week in scrap wire and metal, than his paycheck.(all with companies knowledge and permission, of course). I have known and dealt with Al, our local scrapman for more than 25 years, he has always been very good to me.

On a Gainsville Fl. road building job, he pulled up 4 dump-trucks, full of old cable company wiring, for new road going in. Split it with owner of the company and drivers, then bought A Jeep! One mans' trash..........

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I like the looks of that. I get a lot of different sizes and that looks like it would work great

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer said:
I like the looks of that. I get a lot of different sizes and that looks like it would work great

Boxcutter and razors alot cheaper, and already in the shed. But it does look neat. Gotta strip a lot of wire to pay for that.
I'm mostly stripping heavy copper wire.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DIY, get a 2X4 cut or route a groove in the middle down the length. lay the wire in the groove clamp the wire on one end with a vice grip clamp. Use a draw knife (best) or a heavy bladed butcher knife.

I can strip about 100' in around five minutes or less. Make a shallow groove on one side for 12 or 14 ga wires and a deeper wider groove on the other for the heavier cable. Can't beat the price!

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pat-tekker-cat said:
Boxcutter and razors alot cheaper, and already in the shed. But it does look neat. Gotta strip a lot of wire to pay for that. I'm mostly stripping heavy copper wire.
I know that would be cheaper but I am like Tim the Toolman Taylor. That wire stripper is MACHO ;D

I did end up buying it. Got it last week. Only paid $90 and that included shipping. It did not come with instructions, but if it did they would be in chinese ??? It is mass produced probably in some small backyard barn and the paint job leaves something to be desired. But if you enlarge the ebay photos it shows the same cosmetic defects.

Now about the tool itself. It is simple and sturdy and gets the job done. I have only run through 3 wires so far, about 15-25 feet. It takes a little adjusting to center the wires and get the cutting blade at the right height. I will get faster with experience. Total stripping time was just a few minutes and it got me about 5 ounces of stranded copper wire. Got to buy gloves because it sometimes shreds as I pull the wire away from the insulation. Also, copper wire splinters don't feel very good.

So I give it :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: out of 5.

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
20-25 pounds of stripped copper wire and you have covered the cost of your new toy! Not bad at all!

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hobo finds said:
20-25 pounds of stripped copper wire and you have covered the cost of your new toy! Not bad at all!
That how I figuer it. I have one big plastic bin and two boxes of unstripped wire waiting right now. I am guessing 25-35 lbs of copper and a lot of my labor.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all, I gotta keep looking at that thing, huh?

I'm almost thinking, I got some pipe cutters, could be mounted, run the wire through........... :icon_scratch:
But, the box-cutter, is already ready to go? :laughing7:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
use a burn barrel you only lose .20 per pound around here. Not wourth the time for .20 to strip off coating......Matt

theirratonalist

Nov 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mlayers said:
use a burn barrel you only lose .20 per pound around here. Not wourth the time for .20 to strip off coating......Matt

Burning wire is illegal.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
homefires said:
theirratonalist said:
mlayers said:

Burning wire is illegal.

Says Who?
I'm with ya there. Yeah, says who? >:(
May depend on where you at. :icon_scratch:
I know 4 fire dept's would respond, in my highly populated city dwelling area, when they see it ain't the grill burning! LOL! :laughing7:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, try running your smoker full of ribs in California ::) three fire trucks show up....... Been down that road. I could imagine how many city, county & state agencies would be involved now days. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread