Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Sep 2012
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Question Abandoned Copper Telecom Lines

I have been researching but not finding much available about removing abandoned telephone lines from the ground. I have been a locator for years, and know where miles of copper lines have been abandoned due to upgrading to fiber optics. A 900 pair of telephone trunk lines weigh about 4 lbs per foot, thats alot of copper left in the ground. Harvesting is the difficult part, but finding specific laws covering ownership is difficult.

Does anyone know any specifics? I am getting access permits from the property owner, who maybe the actual owner because of the line abandonment.

Thanks.

us
    Jul 2008
    Fenton MI
    Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
    31 times
    Coins/Jewlery & Relics
    thats a interesting question.

im not too sure myself, but i do know CSX has been walking the rails lately and cutting & bundling the abandoned copper wires they used to use many years ago.

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9705 times
    That cable is on a utility easement, without permission you could end up with hefty fine or worse. Until it is removed by the phone company it is still their property, I also located cables and worked for major Telecom company for decades...

It is rare the give up or abandon utility easements as they may have use for it later on and bought it was sold for lifetime, homeowners lost all rights to it.
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Sep 12, 2012 at 01:51 PM.

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    1043 times
    silver surfing
    Beware that a lot of copper telecom cable, including drop service wires are steel alloy, and, in some cases, aluminum.
    Many of the scrap yards here will not accept telecom wire.
    Treasure Hunter is right, property owners usually do not own up to the roadway easement.

Jun 2012
    Cackalacky
    arrr, just need me nose
    86 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by sshotwell View Post
    I have been researching but not finding much available about removing abandoned telephone lines from the ground. I have been a locator for years, and know where miles of copper lines have been abandoned due to upgrading to fiber optics. A 900 pair of telephone trunk lines weigh about 4 lbs per foot, thats alot of copper left in the ground. Harvesting is the difficult part, but finding specific laws covering ownership is difficult.

Does anyone know any specifics? I am getting access permits from the property owner, who maybe the actual owner because of the line abandonment.

Thanks.
    Remove it and you've become a domestic terrorist regardless of whether it is abandoned or not. If caught, you are subject to federal prosecution under the Homeland Security Act and even if you aren't you'll be charged with a felony as the expense of replacing/repairing telco lines means there is no such thing as a misdemeanor copper theft from a telecom company.

Copper theft is a major cost issue for all utilities and they'd love to make an example of you. Many of them offer sizable cash rewards to anyone turning in a copper thief and you better believe that anyone working at a scrapyards is aware of this.

us
    Apr 2011
    616 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    That cable is on a utility easement, without permission you could end up with hefty fine or worse. Until it is removed by the phone company it is still their property, I also located cables and worked for major Telecom company for decades...

It is rare the give up or abandon utility easements as they may have use for it later on and bought it was sold for lifetime, homeowners lost all rights to it.
    And if you should happen to accidentally slice through a fiber optic line while digging, expect to pay for it for the rest of your life...

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9705 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerTeller View Post
    And if you should happen to accidentally slice through a fiber optic line while digging, expect to pay for it for the rest of your life...
    Correct, I have worked on fiber cuts that ran in the millions of dollars, small cuts in the hundreds of thousands........ Companies I worked for both in the past and work for now all consider copper theft a major crime, anyone that was caught stealing it was proscuted to the fullest extent possible to deter other theives.....

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

Sponsors