All Treasure Hunting

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not a stupid question. Most of my electronics come from city wide clean-up days and then garage sales.

OP
OP
B

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks. Are usual prices for electronics low at garage sales? Like mostly under the $5 range

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks. Are usual prices for electronics low at garage sales? Like mostly under the $5 range
I get most of my electronics at garage sales. I hit 35-40 every saturday.

I always ask
(my first set of questions) "Do you have any jewelry or old coins?" (mostly get "no" answers)
(my 2nd set of questions) "Do you have any cellphones or computers? I do a lot of recycling"

If I get a yes answer I say I will buy ALL you have. BUT, I never ask what do they want.
I set the price. After they show me what they have I say "I OFFER .50¢ for cell phones an $1.50 for old computers" If they say no hard drive I go down to $1.00

most of the time they accept my offer.

also, since I am at the yardsale I also look for brass and copper (always use a magnet when hunting, some things have plated steel parts)

OP
OP
B

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks i think id probably only be able to go to a couple every weekend. What i think ill do over the summer is buy a wire stripper go out to the scrap yard and tear some cars apart! I also need to work on a car and get some parts i need so i dont look too suspicious.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What i think ill do over the summer is buy a wire stripper go out to the scrap yard and tear some cars apart!

I also try to buy all the heavier wire I see at yardsales. this is my stripper, really works great.

Attachments

• WIRESTRP.JPG
    WIRESTRP.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 116

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that 99% of the members here enjoy helping others at most any stage of the new member is at...

The nearest city will not take TV's because of the toxic materials inside. If you can get the trash pickup days from your local Sanitation Dept., then going to work you can drive that neighborhood.... You'd be surprised at what's put out next to the trash every day! On the way to get a haircut, I saw two oil coolers leaning against the trash bags at the curb. I took the larger one of copper and aluminum fins and it brought over $18.00..... Taking time to stop and pick up curb copper/aluminum made my haircut free, and still some left for two Mickey D's Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuits for breakfast....;>)

Old brass objects ($1.98 lb.) and No. 2 copper ($2. 85 lb.) pots, pans or coffee pots from India bring good money when they don't sell in your own garage sale. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread