Weighted sterling, buying strategies?

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm seeing tons of it in my area, often for very good prices. I wondering, is there a way to tell approximate weight without tearing it down? I'd like to keep the pieces intact until I send in to refine. For example, I have 4 candle holders, two seem more robust than the others, and I suspect a higher silver weight, but can't be sure until I tear them apart, which I'd like to avoid so long as I'm holding on to them. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Herb Boyd

Apr 8, 2013
Naples Florida
Detector(s) used
4 different
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most buyers will pay on 20 percent of gross weight before breakdown, it has worked good for me

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only pay for what you can see, use other items to "guestimate" the fillers weight like if its lead filled, get a like sized container and fill with fishing weights then you can get an idea of how much the filler contributes to the overall weight. also if theres makers marks and model/cast numbers you can usually do some research and get the the weights. Most people don't get burnt buy paying to much for the weight as they do for buying a silver plated item thinking it was silver weighted. So know what you are buying and look for wear also don't always trust the old .925 or sterling mark any sub par non silversmith can wack that little mark onto a piece. Also if you are sending them to be refined why not tear them down isn't it cheaper if you send them just silver vs a mixed metal batch?

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm seeing tons of it in my area, often for very good prices. I wondering, is there a way to tell approximate weight without tearing it down? I'd like to keep the pieces intact until I send in to refine. For example, I have 4 candle holders, two seem more robust than the others, and I suspect a higher silver weight, but can't be sure until I tear them apart, which I'd like to avoid so long as I'm holding on to them. Thanks in advance for any insight.

You might have better luck getting answers by posting either in "Garage Sales" or "Precious Metals" Forums.

Here are two links to older posts showing "weighted silver" experiences:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/p...ilver-skin-look-inside-weighted-sterling.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/p...-skinning-candlestick-holder.html#post2103404

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought many weighted pieces of sterling. On the average 10% of the weight is silver. The filler is almost always some early form of epoxy or bondo. I always hit it with a small ballpeen hammer. lots of taps and the filler shatters and falls away.

I try to keep my cost to about $5 for a pair of single candle holders. and if I remember a pair will yield almost an ounce. This is the kind I mean.

Attachments

• stick.JPG
    stick.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 855

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread