Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: bullet shells

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2006
    earth
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

bullet shells

when i go metal detecting in the woods i always come across a few shells, rifle and shot gun. does anyone save them and cash them in for brass scrap?
    also i noticed in the shot gun shells there a piece of non-brass metal by the part of the shell that gets hit to by the gun to ignite the powder(don't know the name of it ). what is that? steel? lead?
    and my final question what is a good website for scrap prices? i used to have a really great one that showed the prices for everything but i can t find it.

thanks,
    whitesid
    How to clean your copper coins using peroxide:
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...gen.html?cat=6

us
    Sep 2003
    SW VA
    Minelab Etrac, White's MXT, Tesoro Compadre and Fisher F2
    10 times
    Metal Detecting

Re: bullet shells

I always save all of the casings of what I shoot. I also save stuff I dig up, but haven't really accumulated enough to sell. I would recommend saving it if you can. You put forth the effort to dig it up so you should try to get something out of it.

Jan 2007
    (RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
    1 times

I have not found a site right now. I call the local scrap companies to get prices. I cash in yellow brass this weekend at .65 cents a pound. Most of the scrap yards are pretty good on the phones.

Happy hunting /scrapping
    Rumblebelly
    Treasure is everywhere, calling you. You just have to find it.

Mar 2007

hey there. new couple here from PA. Well i just so happen to ask my scrap company about amunition casings the other day. they do take them as yellow brass. and the primers are fine left in the casing to. Had the office girl write down on my slip what they are paying for yellow brass. It was: $.90-1.15 per pound.

us
    Aug 2006
    earth

Quote Originally Posted by couplehunter in PA
    hey there. new couple here from PA. Well i just so happen to ask my scrap company about amunition casings the other day. they do take them as yellow brass. and the primers are fine left in the casing to. Had the office girl write down on my slip what they are paying for yellow brass. It was: $.90-1.15 per pound.
    thanks alot for the info.

Dec 2006
    4 times

you must take the primers out of the center fire ammo as well as the shotgun ammo. its the little area where the firing pin hits the end of the shell try a magnet on that end and you will see that it sticks

us
    Sep 2004
    TX
    Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
    3 times

I sold a couple hundred pounds of brass casings a little while back, and did not have to take the primers out.

us
    Aug 2006
    earth

Quote Originally Posted by wayne1956
    I sold a couple hundred pounds of brass casings a little while back, and did not have to take the primers out.
    you get full price?

us
    Sep 2004
    TX
    Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
    3 times

As far as I know of. The dealer told me what he was paying for scrap brass, and did not ask if the primers were in or out when I told him I had brass bullet casings.

us
    NJ

Nov 2006
    Middlesex County, New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000
    102 times
    Metal Detecting

Lets bring this post back from the dead.

Anyone have recent prices for scrap Shell Castings. Over the weekend I was hunting an old WWII training area and the shell castings were everywhere. Each one was approximately 2 1/2 inches long. The weight of my trash pouch started building up pretty quickly so I stopped digging them. Now I wondering if it would pay to go back and focus on gettting as many as I can...lol

The only problem I can see is thay many of them have dirt inside which I assume I would have to clean out and that maybe a big pain in the rear. The casings are tappered at the end so the openning is not that big.

Any thoughts? Is it worth the effort.

NJ

us
    Apr 2008
    Russell KS.
    1 times

I usually just soak them in a bucket for awhile and then empty them out. Sometimes takes more than once to get most of it but its the only way I can think of without washing each one out one by one. Last time I took some in they were all .22 shells which have no primer and still only got $1 a pound this is when yellow brass was almost $2 a pound. They said its because all shells pay a lower price no matter what. Later I was told by someone else its because they cannot ship shell casings over seas and seeing how it was because of china buying everything up that the prices were so high and they could not ship them to china.
    Whether or not that's true I have no idea but it seems that you never get full brass price outta them.

us
    Feb 2012
    39 times
    I sold some casings (Think it was 25 pounds) about a month ago got $1.80 a pound. Primers were in the shells. I always make sure i do not give them any live primers but fired primers do not bother them.

Mar 2005
    Newport PA
    Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
    34 times
    i just cashed in my brass for 2.00 us dollars a lb. in harrisburg, PA

Conscripted COBOL programmer

Oct 2006
    somewhere in the middle of nowhere iowa
    Garrett ACE 250 Thank You Santa :)
    1 times
    when i was in VA the scrap yard wouldnt take em, deprimed or not. still looking for a scrap yard in IA near where i am to take stuff to.
    -=*Tap Dancing On The Brittle Edge Of Sanity*=-

Proud member of PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals.
    Theres a Place for All gods Creatures, next to the potato's and corn.
    MyBlog

us
    Jun 2007
    Central Wisconsin
    Ace 250 with 10 x 14 Excelerator Coil
    85 times
    A scrapyard near me pays 1.80 for yellow brass, and 1.00 for shells.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors