do the prices on this site seem high?

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
I wouldn't be surprised (I'm not into scrap metal prices) it seems like lately the thieves have been stealing everything for scrap.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
A year ago the scrap dealers were paying $3.45 for copper in this area. Now it is down to $2.00.

schramm

Dec 25, 2006
whitesid said:
www.metalprices.com
isnt 3.56 a pound for copper alittle high? also does anyone know what it means when they say cash 3m and 15m????
Whitesid,those are lme prices,they are always higher than ny prices.

Actual spot price right now is $3.48 and this is only what traders are paying for shares of copper not actual scrap copper in hand.This is for copper ready for production not scrap that needs to be sorted/prepared.

The only people who would be getting close to these prices are the end suppliers,the people who buy the copper from your local recycling place who bought it from you for less than they sell it for and who sell it to someone else who sells it for more than they paid for it and so on until it gets to the company that turns it into something new(pipes,wire etc.)

Unless someone has more than a truckload (40,000lbs) they won't see anywhere near the prices that you find on the internet.

Most people bring in less than 100lbs.(much less) per trip and at most recycling places around me you must have more than 300-400 lbs. per trip to get a better rate than the price they have posted at the center.

Right now with the spot price @ $3.48/lb the scrapyard with the best price near me is only paying $2.25/lb for #1 B/S copper(clean new pipes,wire over 1/16"-unburnt,bus bars etc.),trust me they sell it for much more than this,they have to make a profit but sometimes it is a WIDE margin.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion with the internet prices.

By the way what are they paying for aluminum cans near you?Maybe you could post your prices and deposit fees on my post below this one.Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread