Tire weights

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
Tire stores sell their used wheelweights to recyclers. Find out from your favorite tire store.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most tire weights have a steel hook anchor, or the glue ons have a backing, so selling them plain u get scrap price but if u melt them down and cast them into igots you get clean lead price, or you can sell it to possible gun dealers for casting blackpowder slugs out of.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TY for correcting me flip, i just took it for granted they bought it for black powder.

OP
OP
E

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try calling a metal recycling yard. They should be paying at least 60 - 65 a pound for lead, so those weights should be good for about $20. Good return for $1.

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what i do with my weights is put them all in a large steel container usually a large coffee can, put that in a fire, melt the lead into large lead cylinder and just pick out the steel parts when its still melted(not with my fingers ::) ) then just cash the lead cylinders in.
i think its easier than having a ton of little pieces of lead. but thats just me

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
And on the other end of the spectrum...... I turn my wheel weights into diving weights, LOL!

Still got a couple five gallon buckets half full, too. Dip them in tool dip and they're ready to sell!

GroundSnooper

Mar 10, 2007
St. Paris, Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, MXT, GMT. Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to avoid breathing the fumes while melting. Probably will not do anything in the short run but continiously may be an issue. This nervous tick I have has nothing to do with melting lead! ;D ;D

Nice thing about metal detecting, everything you find has a value especailly once you add it all up.

outdoorsup

May 9, 2004
Lake Ozark, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites 4900, Garrett Ace 250
Could also list melted ingots on ebay, lots of folks make their own fishing weights and lures and use lead for that reason. I once tore down an x-ray room and removed about 400 pounds of lead from the walls. Used a great deal for making lead weights and the rest was given away. Just a thought.

CSOhio

Apr 13, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
im wanting to get lead to make sinkers for fishing any ideals how i can get some so i can melt it down and make sinkers? i know i can get it from ebay but im wanting it cheap cheap cheap and preferably free

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
CSOhio said:
im wanting to get lead to make sinkers for fishing any ideals how i can get some so i can melt it down and make sinkers? i know i can get it from ebay but im wanting it cheap cheap cheap and preferably free

I used to buy used wheelweights from the local tire store, for the same price they sold them to the recylcer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread