Status
Not open for further replies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out the Sheriffs and State governments know what they are doing in nullifying the gun laws....Supreme Court ruled in 1997 that the Federal government can not order state or local govenment employees to enforce a federal mandate on gun control....

"As the head of the executive branch of the federal government, a president can issue executive orders only to employees of the federal government—and only regarding implementing federal laws or programs. A governor can likewise issue executive orders to employees of his state government regarding the laws or programs of that state.
Every sheriff is a county officer, elected by the voters of that county. The Supreme Court held in Printz v. U.S. in 1997 that the Tenth Amendment forbids the federal government from ever ordering any state or local official to carry out a federal program. Ironically, that case also involved a sheriff—Jay Printz of Montana—and a federal gun control law"

Fact Check?CNN's Blitzer: Sheriffs Can't Defy Executive Orders

Printz v. United States 1997
Brief Fact Summary. The federal Brady Act interim provisions required state and local law enforcement officials to temporarily do background checks. Two local law enforcement officials challenged the constitutionality of the interim provisions.

Synopsis of Rule of Law. Congress may not compel a state or local government to implement federal regulatory programs, even if they are temporary functions.

Facts. Congress passed the Brady Handgun Violence Protection Act (the Act). The Act required the Attorney General to establish a national background check system. Until the national system became computerized, interim provisions for background checks were established. Those provisions provided that state and local law enforcement officers must do background checks before issuing permits to buy firearms. Two local law enforcement officers challenged the constitutionality of the Act’s interim provisions.

Issue. May Congress compel a state or local government to even temporarily implement and administer a federal regulatory program?
"In New York v. United States, the Supreme Court of the United States (Supreme Court) held the federal government could not compel the states to enact or administer a federal regulatory program. Thus, the background check provisions of the Act violated this prohibition.

Even if there is no policy-making involved, Congress cannot take away a state’s sovereignty. Federalism mandates states remain independent from the federal government."

Printz v. United States | Casebriefs

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
1997...? LOL! Since THEN... 9-11-2001; PATRIOT ACT; WAR on Terror; NEWTOWN...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel, it is a Supreme Court ruling and still valid.....that is what you don't seem to understand, the Constitution is the supreme law of the land...... Using your reasoning we can throw out every amendment since the Bill of Rights as being old........LOL

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my customers was telling me something very similar.The town he lives in,when he first moved there.He went to the police dept to register his guns.Even though its suppose to be a law the chief told him go home that they werent doing that.:laughing7:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Rebel, it is a Supreme Court ruling and still valid.....that is what you don't seem to understand, the Constitution is the supreme law of the land...... Using your reasoning we can throw out every amendment since the Bill of Rights as being old........LOL

Treasure Hunter: I'm not trying to be confrontational here....but, in the past I have stated the Supreme Court should interpret the constitution and you stated that if it violates constitutional law it is null; regardless, of what the Supreme Court says. Now you are using one of their rulings to support your stance. Are we going to allow the Supreme Court to rule on gun laws or are we going to interpret the constitution for ourselves?

Best regards,

Crispin

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crispin said:
Treasure Hunter: I'm not trying to be confrontational here....but, in the past I have stated the Supreme Court should interpret the constitution and you stated that if it violates constitutional law it is null; regardless, of what the Supreme Court says. Now you are using one of their rulings to support your stance. Are we going to allow the Supreme Court to rule on gun laws or are we going to interpret the constitution for ourselves?

Best regards,

Crispin

Wow man you are being waaaay to logical man. You know that's not allowed around here!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
* Frankenstein monster says

Supreme Court good, when ruling in you favor
Supreme Court bad, when not ruling in your favor

*Note: From the little seen movie, Frankenstein Goes to Washington :headbang:

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Watch out spart I just got censored by big brother for "mocking" a thread.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

"Throw it out"... NAW, NOT what I "said", NOR implied; YOU make TOO many assumptions.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bevo said:
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

You do realize the only reason that made that quote was that he was a miserable failure at business having lost a sizable fortune given to him by his father. It is said ge was so destitute that friends had to dress him and pay his way to the cont congress. But hell at least he has one hell of a beer company now!!! of course a little known fact is that sam was never a brewer - he just made the malt. Best.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
swingin wide a the loop,friend.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something to ponder? It's funny you folks who always love to quote the "founding fathers" do realize that if they existed today you would be calling them the lefty "intellectual elite". For the most part born into or made a ton of money, highly educated at top institutions (Harvard, Yale, etc), many were lawyers, never anywhere near combat, just stayed behind the scenes pontificated and making laws wearing their powdered wigs - rich bureaucrats through and through with little knowledge of how the common man exists.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
These arguments are not for argument sake. I take it serious, that it is our duty to keep and hold the original
heart and soul of America. Just because pinko commie libs have had control of the education system for x
amount of years, does not mean what is being taught is correct.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
What answer have yee? O great and educated one?

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
These arguments are not for argument sake. I take it serious, that it is our duty to keep and hold the original
heart and soul of America. Just because pinko commie libs have had control of the education system for x

Bevo: Come on man, really? I think you are trying to get the thread locked.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bevo said:

Completely agree but I propose to everyone that they actually take the time to research the truth behind this country's beginnings and not just go off of popular myth that might fit ones current world view. I would say rewriting or misquoting the past to serve ones purpose is as blasphemous as putting a left slant on everything. Lets just deal with the truth and see where that leads us. Not start with the conclusion we want to hear and then create the history to justify. Best.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stockpicker,

You're being rational again....I wish they had a dislike button.....but unfortunately not an option.

Regards + HH

Bill

Completely agree but I propose to everyone that they actually take the time to research the truth behind this country's beginnings and not just go off of popular myth that might fit ones current world view. I would say rewriting or misquoting the past to serve ones purpose is as blasphemous as putting a left slant on everything. Lets just deal with the truth and see where that leads us. Not start with the conclusion we want to hear and then create the history to justify. Best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread