10" coil leak

jimsjinx

Greenie
May 7, 2009
10" coil leak

:icon_thumright: I have a BH Pioneer 505, and have had great finds logged to this detector. One day on the beach in Panama city beach Fla., I was working the wet sand for recent drops, and started getting erratic tones. I did dip into some salt water, but only about 3 inches, which I have done before with no problem. After changing to my 4" nugget coil, I went back out with no problems. I sent the 10" coil to First Texas, and they found it was leaking and replaced it for me. When I got the new coil, I was pondering how to insure a proper seal to avoid this apparent common problem. My solution was to use some black "Liquid Electrical tape". I poured some into a syringe I had in the woodshop for glue, and run a solid bead all the way around all the joints and over the entry hole for the wires. It worked very well, and it literally welds the plastic. I used a dab of acetone on a clean rag to clean up any drips, and it looks clean. So far, no leaks! It is slightly flexible, so it won't crack like PVC black cement. This was a plus around the wire entry grommet. Just thought I'd pass it on. jimsjinx

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 10" coil leak

Goop makes a marine adhesive that stays flexible. Available at any Home Depot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread