Unhappy Teknetics (Fisher) customer - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Unhappy Teknetics (Fisher) customer

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2012
    T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
    109 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by screwynewy View Post
    Actually there was an instructional insert in the box that clearly stated not to use any washers with the standard coil. The small coil came with a single rubber washer but that is because the space is wider where the lower rod attaches.
    that what my say to
    Last edited by kyskinner; Oct 07, 2016 at 07:04 AM.

stefen
    You'd think that service would increase when a product has known design flaws.

The customer complaints actually bring forth flaws than can be remedied.

When customer complaints of inferior workmanship or poor manufacturering are not made good, the word of mouth only multiplies the number of units not being sold.

Not only does the customer suffer, so does the manufacturer by lacking service.

In this case, the squeaky wheel got greased...what about the next person?

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2005
    Coastal Georgia
    XP Deus, XP ORX, Equinox 800, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
    222 times
    Forewarned is forearmed. Thanks!

us
    Nov 2008
    kingston ny
    minelab quattro, explorer se pro
    665 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    this is not just a problem with teknetics it happens to every brand of detector
    Quote Originally Posted by stefen View Post
    You'd think that service would increase when a product has known design flaws.

The customer complaints actually bring forth flaws than can be remedied.

When customer complaints of inferior workmanship or poor manufacturering are not made good, the word of mouth only multiplies the number of units not being sold.

Not only does the customer suffer, so does the manufacturer by lacking service.

In this case, the squeaky wheel got greased...what about the next person?

Oct 2016
    1 times

teknetics omega 8000

Quote Originally Posted by screwynewy View Post
    I was extremely disappointed to find out from Teknetics (Fisher) customer service that they do not cover broken mounting "ears" on there coils whether the detector is still under warranty or not. I bought my T2 SE new 13 months ago and have used it several times a week. I have never abused it or mishandled it but this weekend I was 1 hour into my hunt when the coil became wobbly and crooked on the shaft. I thought that the coil nut had come off but one of the mounting tabs was broken. Seems like I have seen where Minelab and Garrett owners have had this happen and they replaced them free of charge. I am not very pleased over the fact that I have to lay out $180 for a new coil.

Update:

After closer inspection I believe that I figured out why the mounting tabs broke. The end of the lower rod where the bolt goes through is not a solid flat surface for the coil to mate with. Instead it has a raised outer perimeter and hollowed out center area. From what I can tell the repeated pivoting of the coil on the lower rod has worn the mounting tabs thin which has weakened them. As you can see they both broke at this worn point. This is a design flaw in my opinion.

There should be some plastic or rubber washers that fill this recessed area so its flush with the point of contact with the coil tabs. This would give more surface area and cause less wear in a concentrated area.

i had the same problem with my rather new teknetics omega 8000 .Very very weak support bracket for coil. I prefer german quality .This is surely a designfailure .

us
    Nov 2008
    kingston ny
    665 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    you should try this as a back up metal detector coil ear repair

us
    Nov 2008
    kingston ny
    665 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    anyone else who has this problem here is a cheapo way to fix the coil
    metal detector coil ear repair

us
    Nov 2016
    Southern Oregon
    Teknetics G2, G2+ LTD (with NEL 9.5x5.5 Sharpshooter, Nel Snake), Minelab Equinox 800, White's MX Sport.
    2 times
    I repaired the coil ears on my Teknetics G2. I bought a sheet of ABS plastic on Amazon .177" thickness. I made a paper template by laying a piece of paper between the ears and shaping the paper to fit. I cut 2 pieces of ABS to stack between the ears for support of the new ears. I roughed the ABS a bit, then used Oatley's ABS glue(medium black); The Oatley's contains acetone and MEK which melts the ABS surface. I put glue on the coil surface, glue on the first bottom piece, clamped those together for 15 minutes. Then added the second piece on top, glued them together and clamped again for 15 minutes. Then I cut a couple of squares off of the sheet big enough for the ears(a little bigger than the original), I clamped them together and the shaped them on my belt sander copying the original. After shaping, then while still clamped, I drilled a pilot hole for the rod/shaft. I grounded off the remains of the coils original ear sides with my Dremel to make a flat surface to glue the ears onto. When gluing the ears to the sides, I placed the rod/shaft end with the rubber washers in between, as to not allow the clamp to cave inward. I glued and clamped the ears for 2 hours. After 2 hrs. I removed the clamp and let it cure overnight. Done!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2129.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	434.1 KB 
ID:	1646411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2128.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	447.5 KB 
ID:	1646412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2133.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	423.8 KB 
ID:	1646413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2140.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	585.7 KB 
ID:	1646416
    Last edited by rled2005; Oct 27, 2018 at 04:13 AM.
    choppadude and RustyGold like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links