May 31, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, like an ultra maroon I didn't cover the speaker slots on my pro pointer with tape and they got clogged with mud to the point you couldn't hardly hear it anymore. SOOOO friday night I decided in my little mind that I would just take it apart and clean out the slots then put tape over it so it doesn't happen in the future. And that's where the dance with frustration started, there is one screw holding the circuit in and after taking that out I was kind of pulling the inside out when there was a little resistance so tugged harder and all I heard was a little *pop* it all came out but next thing I know there is a bunch of little pieces coming out too:BangHead: right then I realized I just made a very costly mistake... yup the tiny little switch for the on/off had been yanked apart when I pulled it out and was now in pieces... I spent the next 2 hours trying with very little patience to get it back together... at one point I had it almost all back together and all I had to do was put the switch cover on when it slipped and the tiny little contacts, spring and switch bounced off my forehead and scattered all over my garage :BangHead: I can't believe I actually found everything again and with some more head banging issues finally got it all back together again, it works just like new, only with tape over the speaker holes :laughing7:

The moral of this story you ask? NEVER NEVER mess with your MD equipment the day before a big hunt! If I can stop just one person from making the same boneheaded mistake I just made I will feel slightly less mad at myself for the whole episode. I thought for sure I was going to be ordering a new Pro Pointer yesterday...

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
Before i decided to tape mine I would use a tooth pick to clean it out.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Thanks for sharing your experience Sledgod. FWIW - the first thing I did with mine was put it in a ziplock bag with a few rubber bands around it to hold bag nice and tight.

Molemann

Nov 30, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Deus, ETrac, MXT Pro, Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toothbrush and a puff of air.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice. I put clear tape over my Whites XLT speaker vent years before I heard them make the recommendation. You are also right, it makes sense to leave working MD equipment alone the night before a big hunt! I'll remember that one for the future! Thanks for sharing! Glad everything worked out...I mean in..., no what I mean is, I'm glad you found the spring that hit you in the forehead, or was it lost on the floor? Or both? :( You weren't actually hurt were you? I hope not...did you find anything during the next days hunt? Or was all the effort in vain? Except for this post of course. :) H Digs!

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put tape over mine right from the git go as I felt it was too loud. I much prefer vibration in a pinpointer so that it attracts little to no attention when in a park etc.
luvsdux

doc801

Dec 5, 2012
EAST RIDGE, TN
Detector(s) used
GARRET ACE 250, BOUNTY HUNTER PIONEER 202
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put tape over mine right from the git go as I felt it was too loud. I much prefer vibration in a pinpointer so that it attracts little to no attention when in a park etc. luvsdux

Thank You for the advise. Reason being my with gave a pro pointer for Christmas

Markomyt1

Dec 1, 2013
Cheyenne, WY
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom III
AT PRO Woot!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I thought I was the only one that dinks around with their stuff before a big day.
At least it wasn't at the breakfast table the morning of your trip.
Glad it worked out for you.

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's why I own two detectors and two pinpointers, I'll never miss out on a good hunt, as long as I have at least one good pointer and one good detector.

AngerManagement

Aug 30, 2014
Brisbane
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some detectors can be set to Noise / Vibration and or one or the other... Much better than using tape or putty as the system still uses power even if you do not want sound.. Let alone if you loose it and then can not hear it calling you after time out...

Most of the speakers are not waterproof but that is a simple fix and volume can be maintained / Managed without sticking extra crap all over the out side... Besides the led is not waterproof either... Not even splash proof.

Those that are water proof and have the same type speaker... Please do not use something sharp to clean or you will damage it and the unit will be no longer waterproof...

I just wash mine and give it a scrub with a soft foam block and comes up like new every time... Then again not a Gattett or ML or White

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions