Turn off the LAMP

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
AHOY Don Jose de LaMancha ....found one of dads old pictures. So this is what it looked like as you made your way back on your old hand made raft.....well im sure glad you made it ...or this could very well have been the last thing you ever saw....

Attachments

• uss wharton.jpg
    uss wharton.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 611
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning scuba: Ugh, I remember the first time that I had to climb up to the crow's nest on that forward mast. We were required to carry our helmets in case of an enemy attack. As I was climbing through a tangle of lines at the horizontal spar (?) etc, my helmet came loose and fell. Just below was a winch handle and under neath was a marine sleeping. The helmet hit the handle and was deflected just mi-sing his head, or I would have had the dubious honor of causing the first Marine casualty. He WAS a bit irritated at first, sigh, but we became friends.

HI to your father. and thanks scuba, I will add that missing picture to my small collection of WW-2 data.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s Our antiaircraft protection was two.30 cal. Lewis machine guns, of which I apparently was the only one aboard that knew how to assembler and maintain, so this became my secondary duty.

It is a good thing that we didn't really know what we were actually getting into, we thought that we could take on the Japanese air force, sheesh...

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning: Aparrently our Marine Archeologists are starting to find hard times. Their conference is rapidly becoming a disaster, note how few are actually signing up. This is just a forerunner of the future for them as salvage is gradually shut down because of their efforts.

They are literally "killing the Golden Goose" that pays the best and offers the most opportunities. The Institutional field is becoming saturated, and the various gov't dept's. & museums can only handle a few. The others had better join the legit salvors and change/ fight the laws if they wish to pay their bills, if it isn't too late already.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. go to the Lamp blog

IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR MEETING ATTENDEES!!!!!!

As of the registration deadline (October 6), only three participants have registered for the conference. We suspect this is in part due to our national economic situation which is certainly a challenge for museum and other organizations' budgets. We also know that there are others who have simply not yet registered yet.

We will not cancel this meeting but we will restructure it. Our institution cannot afford to front the caterer's fee if we are facing low participation, so we will no longer be offering dinner and lunch on Friday and Saturday as part of the registration fee. In turn, we are lowering the registration fee to $10 to cover our expenses to date (we will still be covering snacks and drinks during the sessions). Instead of a catered dinner/lunch at the Lighthouse, we will eat out at selected local restaurants.

The boat ride originally scheduled on Saturday has been canceled though as stated above those wishing to participate in this fabulous activity may still do so (talk to Chuck Meide at the conference). Those who have already registered will be reimbursed except for the new $10 charge. If you are planning on attending, please email us at [email protected] and let us know you are coming, and you may pay the $10 fee upon your arrival. The show will go on!

Don Jose de La Mancha

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You're right Don, they might as well abolish the state archies position. He will have nothing to do.

LVX

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2009
FISHEYE said:
The dog was never underwater,they had a coffer dam built around the shipwreck.The dog walked on the planks.

I was the assistant director for the La Salle Shipwreck Project. The remains of which are now in the Bob Bullock Museum in Austin, Texas.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Amen to that. If you evern read all the Spanish regulations for the Treasure Fleets, and compare that to all the state laws etc for treasure hunters, not much difference really. It is probably where the state of Florida got their ideas. Kip may have been beneficial for the treasure hunters in some ways, but maybe when Florida started digging into all those archives they learned how to "tighten the rope" on the rest of us out here. We should tell the state "Spain no longer holds Florida, so old treasure regulations no longer apply". They are a bunch of hypocrites when it comes to archaeological and historical sites anyway. All it takes is some possible cash infusion for a new development, oil drilling, or some available Federal funds for a project, and that "precious" site suddenly becomes "no longer of use" and "already explored and documented", then it is "sold out" for whatever money they are going to get for whatever purpose. Then the archies stand back "satisfied" that they got to explore it "before" it was "sold out" by the state.

At least TH's only take artifacts, but they still leave the site there !

itmaiden

ivan salis said:
its a control issue -- and a money issue -- like aways -- someone wants to be da bossman, and exploit the peons -- life never really changes in the long haul now does it? :coffee2: king of spain in 1715 got his roya;l1 / 5 th--(20%)--the state of florida gets 20% in their contracts -- same cut the "king" got --all hail the "new" king :wink:

SFLOcenEng

Apr 19, 2008
Rio Seco
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Rather than always bashing these educated people who are well trained why not embrace them and try to work with them. I bet some of the people who are really making finds not just talking about finding respect and have open line of communication with archeologist. I know a few and they have never been anything but helpful to me. I see a lot of half facts and presumptions on here like if human bones are found it will get shut down immediately. That just not true. In some cases maybe but it's not a hard fast black and white rule.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
SFLO read "The Keepers Blog." The archaeologists at LAMP think treasure hunters are the scum of the earth and they want to see us put out of business permanently. They would cut off their right arm before helping us. How can you embrace someone like that?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread