Drug smugglers 1715 shipwreck

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Drug smuggler's 1715 shipwreck

I don't know if this topic has been discussed previously on this forum, but I wonder if anybody has a view on whether convicted drug smuggler Thomas Ruck had found one of the missing 1715 wrecks. Ruck was indicted in 1993 for being part of a cartel smuggling drugs from Columbia to the USA, but escaped and fled the country. He was eventually found in Hawaii in 2001, convicted and sentenced to 12-1/2 years in prison. His assets were siezed and auctioned in 2003. They included lots of shipwreck artefacts, many of which were from the 1715 fleet.

Ruck claimed that he and four friends had found a shipwreck in the mid-eighties and recovered these items. He refused to tell the authorities where it was located because he said that when he is eventually released, he intends to go back and continue looting the wreck. If this story is true, then it seems likely that Ruck and friends were looting one of the missing wrecks friom the 1715 fleet. On the other hand, he might simply have bought the treasures from somebody who had been salvaging one of the known wrecks. I think his collection included some items from the Attocha, showing that he also acquired items by buying them conventionally, and he did say that it was the story of the Attocha that inspired him to start diving.

Does anybody have a view on whether Ruck had actually recovered some of his items directly from a wreck, and whether he and his friends had found one of the three missing 1715 wrecks? Also, if this topic was discussed before I joined the forum, could somebody point me in the right direction?

Mariner

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Drug smuggler's 1715 shipwreck

Bob Weller talks about this in his book "True Stories of Sunken Treasure." He was present for the auction and bought many of the artifacts himself. Bob personally believed it wasn't another wreck, but part of the Corrigan's site. Ruck was part of a group known as the Exile Group, a reportedly shady group who struck a deal with Dave Luke who found a bonanza in the area. They tried to push Mel out of the deal, but lost in court.

OP
OP
M

mariner

Apr 4, 2005

Thanks Darren,

I had been meaning to read this particular book of Bob's, so I will now get a copy.

Mariner

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Dell Winders said:
Whatever happened to Dave Luke? Dell

Good question. The general public doesn't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few more nocturnal treasure hunts that occurred over the years. :P

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Whatever happened to Dave Luke?

He may still be around, or at least was about the time that Bob Weller wrote his book, as it appears much of that information is a first hand account. Maybe he was willing to talk after the statute of limitations expired?

OP
OP
M

mariner

Apr 4, 2005

Tom,

Interesting thought. Do you happen to know what the statute of limitations is for looting a wreck, and when does it kick in: from the date of the looting or from the date that the authorities could reasonably have become aware of the looting? To some extent, I am a little surprised that there is a statute of limitations, especially if very valuable artifacts are involved.

Best wishes,

Mariner

MMAG

Greenie
Apr 9, 2006

One of the best untold 1715 stories out there. Lot of treasure came out of that hole. But beware of the curse of the midnight diver for to tell the tale may cause the UFO"s to abduct you. Yes this story includes alledged UFO abduction. I found some pics of the Luke treasure in an old archive of a 70-80's era treasure hunter. I know the story well and it is truly worthy of a novel but I have sworn an oath to never tell.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

MMAG said:
...I have sworn an oath to never tell.

About the UFO or treasure? :wink:

OP
OP
M

mariner

Apr 4, 2005

MMAG said:
One of the best untold 1715 stories out there. Lot of treasure came out of that hole. But beware of the curse of the midnight diver for to tell the tale may cause the UFO"s to abduct you. Yes this story includes alledged UFO abduction. I found some pics of the Luke treasure in an old archive of a 70-80's era treasure hunter. I know the story well and it is truly worthy of a novel but I have sworn an oath to never tell.

MMAG,

Let's treat this as a secret ....... something you only tell one person at a time!!

Do tell! Do you know the name of the four divers that Ruck said he dived with?

I got a copy of Frogfoot's "True Stories ..... " book, and that added a little for me, but I think it is also possible that Ruck had found another of the 1715 fleet rather than getting all of his stuff off the Corrigans wreck. Are the Exile group still around?

I can also see some parallels between the Ruck/Luke story and the so-called Emerald Treasure wreck that Victor Benilous claims to have found off Cape Canaveral. It is clear that some of the artefacts shown on the http://www.emeraldtreasure.com website come not from a 1757 wreck but from one or more of the 1715/1722/1733 fleet, and emeralds mainly come from Colombia.

Good story in there somewhere.

Also, does anybody know the current whereabouts of underwater photographer John C Fine. He wrote several magazine articles about the so-called emerald treasure wreck back in the mid 1990s, and I notice that he took the photograph of Bob and Margaret Weller on the back of his "True Stories ...." book, but I have been unable to contact him in recent years. I would really like to talk to him.

Here's to an interesting 2009 !!

Mariner

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Mariner,

I like the way you think!!!! I believe this is going to be a very interesting thread...
Last year my group came across one of these stories. We have spend 100s of hours researching, investigating and interviewing people finally we were able to get to the bottom of the story and found the so-called location we have been out there a few times but we have not found any evidence of shipwreck in the area YET!!!!

All the best and happy new year to my Tnet family and my ARRG Brothers!!!!!

Chagy.......

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse

As far as night diving for treasure...I could tell some stories! I had been with HRD since 2000 and both Tom Gidus (mad4wrecks) and I can tell you that we have had a major problem with clandestine diving activities taking place by the light of the moon.

Had a couple of modern day pirates arrested, but nothing seems to deter them.

I could tell more than a few stories of things gone missing at night, found in the water but reportedly discovered on the beach, fake log books, coins being found it attics and mysteriously showing up on wreck sites, phony emeralds, wrecks being salted and disappearing cannons.

We always tried to do things right and go 100% by the book, but in the end were the only ones to loose out, while others were robbing us blind. The system is flawed and promotes dishonesty rather than legitimate shipwreck archaeology.

OP
OP
M

mariner

Apr 4, 2005

Jimi,

Thanks. I have followed the lead you sent me.

Mariner

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

UFO's or USO's in the sebastian area are no secret.In august of 2008 several people along the coast south of sebastian inlet saw several glowing USO's flying out from underwater close to shore but within the 3 mile limit at night.This was online on CNN.I have never seen any UFO's in that area yet but have seen them in savannah and NSB and just recently like dec 26th in the mountains of NC i saw a UFO at 2pm.I thought it was interesting cause most UFO's i have seen were either saucers or triangles,this was neither.This one was silver/white,no wings or tail.With 4 round windows in the side.It flew in a arc from one cloud to the next right over me at around 1000 feet.Clear blue sky with few low clouds.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Mariner wrote: I can also see some parallels between the Ruck/Luke story and the so-called Emerald Treasure wreck that Victor Benilous claims to have found off Cape Canaveral. It is clear that some of the artefacts shown on the http://www.emeraldtreasure.com website come not from a 1757 wreck but from one or more of the 1715/1722/1733 fleet, and emeralds mainly come from Colombia.

The corporate offices for Victor Benilous and A. D. Ventures are located in the Ambrosia Restaurant in West Palm Beach. (it is also the offices for the Palm Beach Theological Seminary - http://theology101.org) Apparently Victor owns all three. ::)

Anybody have an more information on this guy or the story?

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ruck supposedly had items from the "Luke" Trench.

Luke is supposedly still around (whereabouts un-noticed).

Luke was detained by law enforcement at one time for lifting an atifact from another working lease area.

There is at least one individual who has a photo catalog of items taken from the Trench.

The Trench was at Corrigans.

Not all of the midnight divers got their cut as promised.

The statute of limitations in Florida for all the most egregious crimes short of capital offenses is seven years, and, in this case, the term has expired. Federal laws probably differ on this issue, but, Florida was exercising authority in the area at the time. Double jeopardy(?) Not really. Uncle Sam and Florida can bake your bones at the same time in these circumstances.

Diving at night under contract to salvage in a defined lease area is a violation of law, not necessarily an infringement of work ethic. But why would you do it ?

Talk is cheap... shake hands with the devil.

By the way, there are lots of men named David Luke.

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000

Several years ago we (when I was working for Florida Research and Recovery) were accused of plundering the HTQ's site off Melbourne at night. I believe they even made a complaint to the state. Of course it was not true but just revenge for not signing a new contract with them for their unlawful practices and it was dismissed.

Diverlynn

OP
OP
M

mariner

Apr 4, 2005

When he was arrested, Ruck refused to divulge the location of the wreck, on the grounds that he wanted to return to it when he was eventually released (he got 12 + years). This might have just been bravado, but the other possibility is that he thought the pickings would still be available when he got out. That is what made me think that he and his friends had found an unknown wreck from the 1715 fleet, even though what I have heard from this thread about his probable connection with David Luke does suggest he was just looting the Corrigans wreck.

Mariner

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE

The "pickins" are still out there and it was Corrigans, around 2 1/2 years from now ... we just have to see if he is out there in 2012 ... that is when he is to be released.

(hint) He will be the one hunting at night in a drug smuggling cigarette!

Dave Luke has been out of pocket for many years still lookin over his shoulder I'm sure

Jimi D Pirate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread