1715 fleet pop quiz

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm thinking the best shot at some of that 1715 treasure is going after the Emeralds....Beach sand sifting :).... One thing for sure IF they ever made it to the beach,their still there .As no M.D. made can detect them .

We need a genius treasure hunter to invent a J.D. (jewel detector).

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barrell:
Urca de Lima. It is a dedicated underwater park site in Florida and you can not metal detect in the water near shore there. Above the mean high-water mark you can detect. Don't ask where that mark is... it is a fuzzy definition. There are commercial interests that might challenge you in other locations, claiming you are trespassing if you detect in the surf. You're on your own. Be aware there is a certain amount of dis-information spread around from time to time regarding this issue. Also, there are restrictions metal detecting in more shoreline based parks throughout the state, and Federal parks generally prohibit metal detecting period. There are other previously explored sites adjoining the Urca de Lima, and some of the old Fisher lease area extends to the north side of the north jetty at Ft. Pierce Inlet.

I have attached a lease map from the Corp. of Engineers which they use as an exhibit in their permitting for salvors. Note that this illustration only shows the Fisher leases as recorded for posterity, per assumption by Queens Jewelry Co. There is at least one other similar area controlled by the HRD company, if they are still in business: I am only vaguely aware of the extents. Furthermore, there are more controlling interests running northward from the boundary outlines on the north side of this map, allegedly stretching to Cocoa Beach, but, once again, I am not up on the boundary limits here, but they do begin at the mean high-water mark on shore.

As for finding a convenient official map... good luck! I've never found one hosted by the state, and, I don't think they are officially interested in promoting such a thing. It would become a litigation issue, no doubt, but you would have to read all the history regarding developments surrounding the treasure salvage business in Florida before you would get the big picture. It goes back a long ways, for many years, and there's nobody employed by the DHR in Tallahassee who has complete tenure with the state stretching back to the first Internal Improvement Trust Fund agreements with Steadman Parker/Kip Wagner era.

As for stepping on toes, well we are not ballerinas here and routinely make a habit out of stomping on each other's little tootsies!
View attachment 662395

Here are maps I received from the state:

Attachments

• Cocoa Beach to Melbourne October 2016.pdf
    749.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Fort Pierce to Jensen Beach October 2016.pdf
    739 KB · Views: 83
  • Sebastian to Florida Ridge October 2016.pdf
    943.6 KB · Views: 82

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sand sift using a powerful blacklight on a moonless night --its well known that emeralds "glow" under a blacklight --also you can scour the beach on a dark night with a powerful blacklight and pick up what "glows"

Last edited:

scubadogrick

Jul 12, 2013
New Castle, IN
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking the best shot at some of that 1715 treasure is going after the Emeralds....Beach sand sifting :).... One thing for sure IF they ever made it to the beach,their still there .As no M.D. made can detect them . View attachment 1755856

I would think a suction dredge with a relic retrieval setup would be the way to go in the shallow water. But I don't know what permits would be required to operate a small 5" or 6" dredge.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
DSCN0760#001.jpg

tracked airlift and a coin sieve 2001

Seiving-sml2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread