Cape Canaveral National Seashore Metal Detecting

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go 8 miles south of the entrance gate.But you have to sign a waiver that the rangers wont be responsible for you if the critters eat you for dinner in the backwoods area is what they call it.For that long walk trudging down the beach you need to bring plenty of water and food if you want.Get a early start.Rangers on 4 wheelers may check up on you to see if you are still alive and not face down in the sand.I found part of the leading edge of a rudder with copper plate and nails in it down around the 8 mile area and carried it all the way back.Now i know how shipwreck survivors felt trying to carry either gold or personal belongings down that beach.Its brutal.If you go too early in the morning the no see ums will eat you alive.You have to make it back before the shore gate closes at night otherwise you will be spending the night there without a camping permit and the bugz and critters will eat you up.Deep woods off wont help you.Bring a thermo cell with you.You can buy them at gander mountain or walmart for 25 bux.Will be the best 25 bux you ever spent.wearing it will keep skeeters and no see ums away for 12 hours.

backlash

Greenie
Feb 3, 2011
FISHEYE said:
Go 8 miles south of the entrance gate.But you have to sign a waiver that the rangers wont be responsible for you if the critters eat you for dinner in the backwoods area is what they call it.For that long walk trudging down the beach you need to bring plenty of water and food if you want.Get a early start.Rangers on 4 wheelers may check up on you to see if you are still alive and not face down in the sand.I found part of the leading edge of a rudder with copper plate and nails in it down around the 8 mile area and carried it all the way back.Now i know how shipwreck survivors felt trying to carry either gold or personal belongings down that beach.Its brutal.If you go too early in the morning the no see ums will eat you alive.You have to make it back before the shore gate closes at night otherwise you will be spending the night there without a camping permit and the bugz and critters will eat you up.Deep woods off wont help you.Bring a thermo cell with you.You can buy them at gander mountain or walmart for 25 bux.Will be the best 25 bux you ever spent.wearing it will keep skeeters and no see ums away for 12 hours.
cool correct me if im wrong are those poles with numbers on them placed every quarter mile ..8 miles past the gate would mean 2 miles past the end of the road right ive read the info you post on the other thread thanks i owe you a beer , I just took a year long vaction to c what i can find in that time. started this new hobby about a year ago now turned to obsession driving down to vero beach 2 or 3 times a month but not much luck im learning more and more now i know you have to wait on the right storm b4 you MD those beaches so intill then i started looking closer to my back yard,, have a house in sable point but just moved to deltona to b closer to the beach would have moved to the beach but to far to take son to school back in longwood so this was happy medium so i thank you for any info on NSB and canaveral area

C

Cappy Z.

mad4wrecks said:
Dummit's Grove is an interesting place to explore. I spent a lot of time looking around there in the late 1980's. (great redfish and trout fishing area too by the way)

Just north of Dummit's Grove, and not many people know this, but in 1565, at the same time that St. Augustine was being founded, the Spanish built an outpost/fort at the very northern end of the Indian River, in what is now known as the Haulover area. (a narrow strip of land where the indians and explorers hauled over their canoes from the Mosquito Lagoon to the Indian River. As the population in the area increased, and boats got bigger, they dug a canal from the Indian River to the Mosquito Lagoon....now known as Haulover Canal)

Later, Fort Ann was built there in 1837 during the 2nd Seminole war.

Some one you may remember a guy on TNET named Pegleg, God rest his soul, who had a story about gold bars being buried in the mud at the northern end of the Indian River. A lot of history all through that area and across Mosquito Lagoon to the Cape.

On the southeast shore of the Mosquito Lagoon, historian and conservator Doug Armstrong found a very old French campsite and recovered a number of interesting artifacts, which are now displayed at the McLarty museum in Sebastian.

Tom

Here's a pic of an old map. Note the word el Roque...translated means Tower.
Just my two cents.

Attachments

• old.jpg
    old.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 1,251

ALnG

Jan 17, 2014
Milwaukee,WI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you point me in the right direction? I will be driving to FL and the East Coast for vacation. I plan to visit the beaches from Melbourne to Cocoa. Will I be allowed to Metal Detect on the sands? Will I need permits/permission? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks -Alan

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Anyone interested in this area would enjoy the book by Douglas R. Armstrong " French Castaways at Old Cape Canaveral " A case for the existence of self-exiled survivors from the 1565 French fleet, who were living among the Surruque people at Old Cape Canaveral. ISBN 978-1467977159
The book includes pictures of artifacts and original documents.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Can you point me in the right direction? I will be driving to FL and the East Coast for vacation. I plan to visit the beaches from Melbourne to Cocoa. Will I be allowed to Metal Detect on the sands? Will I need permits/permission? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks -Alan[/QUOTreE]

You will have no issues in Cocoa but note that it is now undergoing a beach re-sanding project. See posts under beach and shallow water.

indy46

Greenie
Dec 31, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out of curiosity...is the no-detecting zone just within the park itself or does it extend north as well? Beyond the National Seashore going south is NASA and I know that is off limits. But is just north of the park off limits too?

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The property at the north line of the Canaveral National Seashore is private, but the beach is not. However, there is a lot of granite rip rap there at the moment. You can detect the beach at the north line as you would anywhere else that is public domain (outside of park property or Federal reserves like NASA). By the way, you can also detect the beach in front of Patrick AFB in Brevard too. For a more detailed look at treasure hunting in recent years at Canaveral, try reading...

Attachments

• JacketSnapshot.jpg
    JacketSnapshot.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 248

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any kind of National Park or Seashore is a big NO NO..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019
Cocoa fl and Saginaw mi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm moving to an apartment very close to the Cape and I have private beach access....love the area and history just haven't had much luck in cocoa beach area or Melbourne or any surrounding areas I also have yet to get out right after a storm looking forward to it and I will keep you guys posted.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should be interesting, if you catch a good storm this year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread