what to do if you find a ship in local waters

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
You don't, you quit posting and keep this info between you and only the most trusted peole!

Seriously!

Unless you do not want to dive it and just hand it over!

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Congrats. When you sy claim it, what exactly do you mean? Do you want to apply to the state for salvage rights or do you just want your claim to fame that you found it? I am not sure of the laws in NJ but here is a great site to look at and maybe help with some research. Make sure it hasn't already been found by someone else.

http://www.aquaexplorers.com/shipwrecks_NY_NJ.htm

This is certainly a good question for Dan.

Like Sabre said, I would certinly keep it to myself and close friends only for now. Do the right thing though and follow the law. I would be surprised if it were worth a true salvage effort anyways. But it may have some very inetersting artifacts and history.

Good luck.

Robert

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
first things first find out if it even worth the time , effort and spending money on to salvage it --- (ie is it worth while or merely a "money pit" ) if you think its worthy treasure loaded wreck --- then find out what the salvage law policies are of the state who's waters it is in , and the process they require to submit a "claim"-- most likely you will need a maritime lawyer to "arrest" the wreck to claim it . -- and a good bit of cash to pay for the permitting fees and other red tape type stuff required to legally be able to salvage the wreck site.

good luck-- Ivan

now just to claim --"hey I found the NUESTRA SENORA DE LA BUNCHA GOLD and its at 30 degrees 30 sec north by 15 degrees 10 sec east in 80 feet of water --is easy but that means nothing in the over all "ownership" of things.

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
well don't know if there is any gold or treasure on it but a lot of historical value and good chance there is personal belongings on it. I just want to be able to go over it with out it being scavenged once i spend time there. I was thinking of just acting like I am fishing. And It not even listed in wrecks but I know the name and history of them.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Sounds like a good plan. I always find its better to go during the week when you dont have your weekend fishermen and divers. Less traffic and less chances someone will stop by to check out your site.

If I see a fisherman on a site I have never been over, I will go by with the Humminbird Side Scan and see what kind of wreckage he may be on and plot it for a future peek! Sometimes fishermen know the fish are there, they just don't knw why.

Robert

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
What was it that made you think that there's a wreck in this spot? Have you been diving on the site, found a good return on sonar, or snagged something? Just curious.

Pcola

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
So, have you actually been on the site? Any dives or geophysical data?

Sounds like it really has some historical significance as well!

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
I don't dive so, I had the area scanned by the coast guard and have two sites that come up about 6 to 11 feet and I am going to see if I can get any metal off of it with a magnet. I have friends that are going to dive it for me but don't want to take them there till I have proof I found something. I would like to have someone scan it better but don't know anyone that does that. Oh yea and I don't want the site taken from me.

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
you gave me an idea lol I was just looking at some of your stuff. I am going to try and build a rov

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Erik,

If you genuinely think you have found a site of real historic importance, you want to start looking at ways in which it can be examined and recovered properly, and legally. The first step is to work out whether the wreck has been "abandoned", in which case title probably (though not necessarily) belongs to the State in whose waters it is located, or not. Can you work out who the owner of the wreck is/was? Research the rules of the State where the wreck is located. How, and under what circumstances, did you get the Coast Guard to scan the site?

Sounds an exciting project. Don't do anything that would cause you to cross the line and lose your rights to this wreck by breaking the law. Work out what you have to do to make it a win/win situation for everybody concerned. There will be a way to do this, you just have to work out what it is, without giving up the benefits you deserve as the finder.

Mariner

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
they sell one for $100.00 at a store on rt.88 in Bricktown NJ i think its called Harbor Freight, comes with a monitor and 60ft of cable and you can record on it with a video camera , and it works we used one to do underwater evidence recovery

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Erik,

Sounds like Scubatreasure could be of great assistance to you. Take his help, while of course keeping the location secret until you feel comfortable about any arrangements.

Mariner

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
I have been doing this for 5 years I cant give it up to easy lol. I have been scared to go to it with out having some kind of idea on how to claim it or even if I can. Its been there for over 200 hundred years it can stay there till I am ready to get it, Has been my motto

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
thats been my motto to and so far so good....heck i dont even want to know where it is i just want a phone call so i can watch ya on the history chanel when it all goes down

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Erik,

The current salvage laws and principles have been in place for years, perhaps even centuries, but all of that is likely to chjange in the near future, and effect all rules and regulations concerning the recovery of shipwrecks, as the UNESCO Convention on Underwater Cultural materials is adopted, having now been ratified by more than 20 countries. Time is starting to be particularly important, in my opinion.

Good luck with the project.

Don't you people on the East Coast ever go to bed?

Mariner

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
you cant sleep when you have something like this in your head lol Are you saying I need to move quickly on this

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
I have info on alot of wrecks along the eastern sea board that arnt know about but I need to have a friend that dives. I wouldlove to see pics of thing like that.

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Erik,

I am not suggesting you need to panic, but I know how quickly time moves. You have taken five years so far, if I understand you correctly (some of my projects have taken even longer and are not yet close to fruition) but I would not count on another five years without a significant change in attitude, rules and regulations towards the question of whether wrecks (even historically important ones) should be recovered or left in-situ. Just my opinion.

Mariner

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
I got you thank you for the insite I want to get on this like yesterday but i have to work smarter not harder lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread