P1010671.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 342

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Do you mean from the 1600's and 1700's? I was thinking it would be hard to bring home 1600-1700 olvie jars!

Price?

Do they have a documented history as to the wreck and where they were found, or are they just certified as old? If the latter, there was a rash of fakes made some years ago and they would actually throw some of them in the water for a year and let them age, soak up saltwater, and grow some calcification. Beware!

They do look nice!

Hope you are doing good and have a safe trip home!

Robert

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Robert,
You are right, I heard about the fakes. Ask Joel how he ended up with counterfit money the other day...taxi driver hoodooed him.
These jars were used for Pisco (the national liquor, and very good) and for water and are not from any shipwreck. The antique shops are full of them here but we go down to where Pisco is made. These jars are documented, certified and then a stamp is placed on them for export when they are finished at the National Culture Center with them, but have to historical value to the country because they are not related to any shipwreck or event, just used by the people over the years. You can still smell the pisco in some.
Joel was offered $2000 for one about half this size. Shipping will not be cheap but doable. I hope I can find smaller ones, maybe about 1/3 the size of these so I can handle them better and get them ready for shipping, maybe by Chilian Airlines into Miami. I may make another trip down for more soon Will see if I can take care of the business in the week I have left.
I am looking at some figureheads for myself. They are not original but done very nicely and you would think they just came off an old ship. I found a very large one and have her down to $300, beautiful.
Lynn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread