WW-2 loot??

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good aftenoon, If interested in a story involving WW-2 Loot (?) in a maritime setting go to-->

http://www.historyhuntersinternational.com/

Scroll down to Tayopa, or simply type it in on the search box.

The story hasn't ended yet, but I probably will never attempt to recover it, nor can I vouch for its complete authenticity, just my part in it. But it does indroduce some interesting questions of Maritime law, and statute of limitations..

Don Jose de La Mancha

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if all that materieal were sealed and waterproofed, wouldn't it be terribly outdated? Or would the value just be the weight in scrap? I didn't see any mention of gold or precious gems,etc. How long ago was this? Monty

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Don Jose de la Mancha, very interesting! Do you know if there are any P51 parts? Monty collectors pay big money for aircraft parts.
Ossy

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen: it would have been in 46-47. Yes, much would be outdated, but things like jeeps, small trucks, aircraft and ammunition would still be very valuable.

I was at Guam about this period, - but didn't know of this operation - but our A-26's were brought up to complete combat readiness, tanks topped off, ammo loaded, then they ran a bulldozer over them. I almost cried to see my beautiful aircraft destroyed. There was gasoline and oil running everywhere.

So in light of my personal experience, I can well believe the story that they told me.

Go to -->

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/More_A-26_Stuff.html

Don Jose de La Mancha

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't the A26 the later model of the B26 with a lot of forward firing armament and used primarily to bomb and strafe targets of opportunity? Monty

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good morning Monty my friend I took my bombardier training in the Douglas A-20. This was used as the basis for the A-26 which was a beautiful aircraft. We were flying the Martin B-26 which was built like a rock, but had bad low speed characteristics. tending to stall on approach. We replaced it with the A-26, whose designation was changed to B-26 and was a beautiful flying aircraft...

Our operation in China, we used the Martin B-26.

Don Jose de La Mancha

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,

My grandfather was a B-17 mechanic on guam 1942-43.he told me that they buried all kinds of planes and parts along the runways there when he was there.

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
It is a good story but I can't really see a deep recovery of rusted world war 2 relics as being very profitable.

Then again, there is the probability that the story is false. There are just too many variables. What were the names of the ships? What was the Admiral's name? What date did this take place? Where did the order come from?

It just doesn't seem to me to be worth the trouble.

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen_idaho said:
It is a good story but I can't really see a deep recovery of rusted world war 2 relics as being very profitable.

Then again, there is the probability that the story is false. There are just too many variables. What were the names of the ships? What was the Admiral's name? What date did this take place? Where did the order come from?

It just doesn't seem to me to be worth the trouble.

Actually they won't rust that fast at all in the deep and de-oxygenated water of the Trench. They dumped them off Brisbane off the continental shelf at the end of WW2 and there was reports not too long ago of them recovering aircraft for the vintage market. it did happen - there's photos of it at the Australian War memorail of when it happened here. They poked holes in the wings to make them sink faster and over they went. I can't post the photo at the moment but here is one of the descriptions:

NO. 14 WHARF PYRMONT, NSW 1946-01-16. AIRCRAFT MECHANIC JOHN CULLION RN PUNCHING HOLES IN THE WING OF A ROYAL NAVY BARRACUDA AIRCRAFT. THE PLANE WAS ONE OF SIXTY BARRACUDA AND AVENGER AIRCRAFT THAT WERE TO BE DUMPED FROM HMS PIONEER, A ROYAL NAVY REPAIR CRAFT, INTO THE OCEAN OFF NSW. PART OF LOT TOTALLING 720, AND VALUED AT FIFTEEN MILLION POUNDS, THE ONLY EQUIPMENT REMOVED PRIOR TO DUMPING WERE COMPASSES, CLOCKS AND OTHER INSTRUMENTS. UNDER THE LEND LEASE AGREEMENT WITH THE UNITED STATES, ANY MATERIAL BRANDED "USELESS" WAS TO BE DESTROYED. ALTHOUGH THERE WERE ONLY A FEW MEN OFFICIALLY ON DUTY THE FLIGHT DECK WAS CROWDED WITH SEAMEN ENJOYING THEMSELVES WRECKING THE PLANES. (PHOTOGRAPHER L. CPL E. MCQUILLAN)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How in the world would you recover anything from a "trench"? I understand that some of the trenches are nearly six miles deep! The only thing that has ever gone down that far is a few of those mini subs with 3 or 4 people and some unmanned vehicles. When the US left Viet Nam dozens of helicopters were tossed over board from aircraft carriers in much shallower water. Would they be worth salvaging? I don't think I would invest money in any such endeaver. (Not that I have it to invest). :D Monty

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI MONTY: First as I mentioned, they were not dumped into the Mariana trench, which is one of the deepest areas of the Pacific ocean, but on top of a nearby submerged mountain top.

Nor did I invest, but they apparently were in the process when somethng happened.

Don Jose de La Macha

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok,, several lines referred to the trench, so I assumed so. That's what I get for assuming huh? Monty

mac762

Nov 18, 2007
My Exfather was in the Navy during the Vietnam war. He was on a detail that involved cutting Thompson submachine guns into three pieces and dumping them overboard.

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
mac762 said:
My Exfather was in the Navy during the Vietnam war. He was on a detail that involved cutting Thompson submachine guns into three pieces and dumping them overboard.

Im hurting inside when i read storys like this.

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: WW-2 loot?? Trond (a-1)

good morning Trond: I know what you mean. Remember much of this stuff was tropical packed in then waterproof packaging. Much may still be salvageable and in working condition - ya fellow gun nut..

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Same thing happened to me. Now my computer crashed.

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tired to open it also to refresh my memory, but only received "Error on page", but no problems??

However I can repeat it here from memory, if anyone is interested.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. I tried typing in ' www.historyhuntersinternational.com & org. in bing, but only received the same message. I then tried direct entering and did enter, but when I tried to verify it by entering again, I couldn't?? However at no time did I receive a warning message?? I have Norton 2010

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good morning again: I have located it, but the entry is a bit erratic. It now has a different format, more formal, and I couldn't find my post in reference to the dumping of the surplus materiel, Tayopa or the tongue in cheek one on Atlantis /Azatlan.??

http://historyhuntersinternational.org/#awp::

enter the above, it will say "done, but with errors on the page", wait a bit, perhaps 10 - 15 secs., and it pops up by itself ??.

I have sent a questionnaire to the home.

There is no virus, that is part of the error message.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de I sent you a PM several days ago but got no answer. I hope you are not mad at me. I haven't seen you posting lately and was worried abut you. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions