Lost island : Isle de Mangane

Dr. Gaetan Algoet

Aug 15, 2009
Brussel
I have found in the archives information about a French ship wrecked at "Isle de Mangane" near Saint-dominique(Dominican Republic)
I can't find the island on the current maps and didn't find it on the maps I have of the past.
Because the ship sank the July 23th 1762 some years before 1770 it is possible lost due to the big earthquacke. I know that time where some island vanished from the maps. I don't know the size of the island. Nothing was written of it. There was only written that the ship sunk on the rocks of "Isle de Mangane"
One trail points in the direction of "Isle de Mogane" but then they must have made a big writingerror.

All ideas, sugestions and old maps from Hispaniola are welcome.

Gaëtan

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
"Mangane" was sometimes used as an abbreviated term for Manganese Ore. I wonder if you could find some information on ore deposits in the surrounding area of the D.R. to narrow down your search?

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Mackaydon said:
Greetings Dr:
Other possibilities are the word is misspelled or the island was first named after an inhabitant (since Mangane is a family name) then quickly changed to its current name.
Don.......

Good point.

OP
OP
Dr. Gaetan Algoet

Dr. Gaetan Algoet

Aug 15, 2009
Brussel
PcolaBoy said:
Mackaydon said:
Greetings Dr:
Other possibilities are the word is misspelled or the island was first named after an inhabitant (since Mangane is a family name) then quickly changed to its current name.
Don.......

Good point.

That is right. Names of islands and even lands often change. That's why I was looking for old maps. This ship shipwrecked around 1764 and in the official archives was written Isle de Mangane.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
we have a winner due to relic dude 07 *** listing the french "old" map (1722) --- I cross checked it with a modern "english" one ---its listed on the old map both ways (Isle de Mangane -ou de Mayaguane)-- its modern name (in english) is Mayaguana --its part of the Bahamas

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Well done, Relicdude 07 ! Terrific resolution on that collection of maps, by the way.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds French, could it have been on the Haiti end of Hispaniola?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the "old map" is in french * the island is called mayaguana * in english --and ts part of the bahamas.

OP
OP
Dr. Gaetan Algoet

Dr. Gaetan Algoet

Aug 15, 2009
Brussel
RELICDUDE07 said:

It's a very nice map there. But unfortunaly this is "Isle de Mogane" and what I look for is "Isle de Mangane". Well very nice work and the map is extraordenary. I would like to have a copy of it.
Also everybody for the help. The name is correct due to the archives. MANGANE.
But if I don't find it I will go to Paris and check in the archives the original documents to see or there is a possible mistake of the name.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this off the internet:

Hispaniola was under Spanish control until 1697 when the western third of the island became a French possession. In 1804, the western part of the island became the Republic of Haiti. French people called this region “Saint Dominique”.

OP
OP
Dr. Gaetan Algoet

Dr. Gaetan Algoet

Aug 15, 2009
Brussel
PcolaBoy said:
"Mangane" was sometimes used as an abbreviated term for Manganese Ore. I wonder if you could find some information on ore deposits in the surrounding area of the D.R. to narrow down your search?
I also heard of this but couldn't find some usefull information yet.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Manganese Ore is heavily mined in Brazil, and to some degree it was mined on the Island of Pines, on the south side of Cuba. While Manganese has been found in the soil in the DR, I found no evidence of any industrial mining for the mineral in that location.

itmaiden

PcolaBoy said:

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
????

Attachments

• Mogane.jpg
    Mogane.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 408

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relicdude07,

Your first map is fantastic. Its ironic that on that map you have Spanish and French words, then in the upper right corner, Long Island in the Bahamas is still, "Long Island"!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
please note the "reef structure" the oval type reef at the western end of the island listed as "mogane" as well as long the northern east top end "reef" area ---now compare it with the reef structure of the Ilse of "Mangane" map -- I do believe based upon what I see that --Isle de Mangane (of the bahama's) * --and Isle de Mongane are in fact one in the same.-- fine work --relic dude 07 and panfilo*

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread