Sub sea reaserch in Maine

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
There is a company in Maine called Sub Sea Research. They made a big press release a year or two ago that they had located a WWII ship loaded with platinum(i think, maybe diamonds?) and that they were gonna go recover it. Never heard anything else. Did they recover anything, or was this just another tactic to try and get investors. They also used their "research" vessel to take supplies to Haiti after the earthquake. From what I hear that was a big underplanned fiasco. What's with these guys? Do they actually find anything or are they just taking investors money?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Their salvage vessel sank at the dock a few years ago. Sounds like a scam to me.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These guy's have been in the new's quite a bit in the last few years, They were the ones who found a Nazi sub that was not supposed to be were it was. And there has been a lot of research on this sub as to what it was doing of the coast.
I will have to read up on my archives to see what the details were on the sub , but they have found some really good things in the past.

If I can find the data I will make a post on it.

LuckyKevin

Jan 27, 2011
FL
Sounds like the U-166. That was found a few years ago in the Gulf of Mexico about 150 miles where it was reportedly sank and everyone was looking... But I think that was found by another company.

Do you know the U-boat # they supposedly found?

There are lots of U-boat websites

Kevin

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hi,

Regarding the Nazi U-boat, it was not U-166 and it was not found by Sub Sea Research, it was found 11 years ago by coincidence by a Canadian missionary in Haiti. SubSea then went only to explore it. There is no identification number on this wreck, it lies very close to the shore about 5 kilometers from the city of Jeremie. I described this wreck in details with photos in my book "Hidden and Lost Treasures in the Dominican Republic" and I dedicated to this topic the whole chapter. Yo can get this book or through www.lulu.com or directly from Terry Armstrong (aka Signumops in this Forum) from Florida.

Any other question you would have about sunken or scuttled Nazi U-boats in the Caribbean, especially around Hispaniola island, send me PM, I will answer you with pleasure.

Regards,
Lobo (Bobadilla)

tridentresearch

Greenie
Nov 22, 2008
Bobadilla and others concerned;
Gents....Sub Sea never claimed to have found a uboat off Haiti. In fact, while they were down in that area on other projects they conducted a rather detailed survey of that site off Jeremie and were able to confirm it as an unidentified former gunboat of the late 19th century, of British construction. I am the one who conducted the research and identification of the bottom findings for them, quite a few years ago now. I believe that this research report is still available at the Sub Sea Research web site. I don't know where this U-166 stuff came from but it has no relation to the actual wreck being discussed.

Hope this clarification helps.
TR

Whittman

Oct 4, 2005
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers
I thought that they claimed to have found a U-Boat in the Gulf of Maine? Never heard any specifics on it though...

tridentresearch

Greenie
Nov 22, 2008
Whitman;
That claim they did make...a uboat in the Bay of Maine. I was not involved in those field operations but was, however, involved in the research for American records relating to a very indicative action in the Bay of Maine. I was able to provide certain National Archives documents from the various American commands that indicated an action and subsequent sinking. From what I could gather at the time it would seem that Sub Sea conducted a very good search and with some positive results on that particular find.
TR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions