Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monday, August 21, 2006

PROSPECT, Nova Scotia -- Somewhere along the rocky coastline of Prospect, near Halifax, is an enduring mystery.
The wreck of HMS Fantome -- a British naval ship that ran aground in 1814 -- is said to hold within its watery grave a treasure believed to be worth a billion dollars: artifacts stolen from the White House after the British burning of Washington during the War of 1812.
Nearly 200 years later, a team of U.S. treasure hunters is intensifying a search that's been going on for years -- a hunt that's drawing as much controversy as it is intrigue, as critics raises concerns over potential damage to Nova Scotia's marine history.

"It's an American company who is in the business of extracting artifacts from shipwrecks for profit, " said John W. Chisholm, a documentary film-maker who is lobbying the Nova Scotia government to ban for-profit treasure hunting. "I don't think it's the way to go."

Others wonder if a billion-dollar treasure really exists.

"Personally, I've never seen anything that tells me there's a billion dollars worth of treasure out there," said Greg Cochkanoff, a shipwreck diver who several trips to the Fantome's debris field.

He doubts that a big pay-day is at the bottom of the sea-bed, waiting to be discovered -- but at the same time -- defends the right of treasure hunters to explore.

The investment company that is bank-rolling the treasure hunt says its team is currently surveying the ocean floor, and notes that "the site contains ships predating 1814, and will contribute to responsible, high-quality archeology and the eventual recovery of this historically significant project."

Wreckdiver1715 Commentary - Just my opinion, but why would we not support the private enterprise sector from doing what we have been doing since man set sail from dry land thousands of years ago. If these guys want to invest there time and money in the search, why should they not also be able to reap the possible rewards (If any). Treasure Hunters Unite!

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/national/story.html?id=1e2fb507-5704-45d5-a997-f4015c772e7c

P

PlanetExpress

I agree with you. It's sick to see the loss of freedom people are experiencing on a global level, as well as here in our own country the "land of the free."

Since when were there so many laws and regulations? How come I am required BY LAW to purchase automobile insurance? Ok... I'm actually not since I register in a state that doesn't require it, but most do.

Americans have been turning the other cheek for years now in the name of terrorism, etc... It's high time somebody starts standing up for SOMETHING... especially defending the right of fellow treasure hunters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread