1711 Spanish Treasure Fleet?

Gitschlag

Aug 7, 2011
Brandon, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter MkII, Minelab Xterra70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I recall correctly, I read somewhere that there was a 1711 fleet, and that it was destroyed by a hurricane as well (near Cuba?). As to further info regarding how many ships or how much treasure was lost, I could not say.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
From Robert Marx:

"Cuba. 64. Year 1711. Five ships of the Nueva Espana Flota were wrecked during a "norther" on December 16 about 5 leagues west of Havana; one was its Almiranta, Santisima Trinidad, which carried a large treasure, Captain Diego de Alarcon y Ocano of the Armada de Barlovento; the other four were flota naos, of which only one was identified, the Nuestra Senora del Rosario, San Jose y Las Animas. Divers were quickly employed and by January 4 they had recovered over 1,700,000 pesos in treasure from the wrecks. The total amount of treasure carried on these ships was not stated in the documents.

Shipwrecks of the Western Hemisphere: 1492-1825 (New York: 1971) pg. 353

from The Homewrecker:

The ALMIRANTA and THREE NAOS

Somewhere against the coast "leeward of Havana" - probably near Mariel - lie the bones of the Almiranta and the three naos of the 1711 New Spain armada. These ships were driven south onto reefs by a sharp storm which caught them coming in from Veracruz. Nearly all their crew and passengers reached safety ashore before the ships were battered to pieces and most of the treasure which they carried was recovered afterward by native divers. The comment "nearly all the silver was saved" indicates that some could not be located in the tangled wreckage. The positions of these ships could be pinpointed with a little research. Their crusted ballast should hold ten to twenty thousand dollars in ingots and coins.

John S. Potter, Jr. The Treasure Diver's Guide (Revised Edition) (Garden City, New York: 1972) pg. 152.

You probably should check Horner's Treasure Galleons - my copy isn't close at hand.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Old Bookaroo said:
From Robert Marx:

"Cuba. 64. Year 1711. Five ships of the Nueva Espana Flota were wrecked during a "norther" on December 16 about 5 leagues west of Havana; one was its Almiranta, Santisima Trinidad, which carried a large treasure, Captain Diego de Alarcon y Ocano of the Armada de Barlovento; the other four were flota naos, of which only one was identified, the Nuestra Senora del Rosario, San Jose y Las Animas. Divers were quickly employed and by January 4 they had recovered over 1,700,000 pesos in treasure from the wrecks. The total amount of treasure carried on these ships was not stated in the documents.

Shipwrecks of the Western Hemisphere: 1492-1825 (New York: 1971) pg. 353

from The Homewrecker:

The ALMIRANTA and THREE NAOS

Somewhere against the coast "leeward of Havana" - probably near Mariel - lie the bones of the Almiranta and the three naos of the 1711 New Spain armada. These ships were driven south onto reefs by a sharp storm which caught them coming in from Veracruz. Nearly all their crew and passengers reached safety ashore before the ships were battered to pieces and most of the treasure which they carried was recovered afterward by native divers. The comment "nearly all the silver was saved" indicates that some could not be located in the tangled wreckage. The positions of these ships could be pinpointed with a little research. Their crusted ballast should hold ten to twenty thousand dollars in ingots and coins.

John S. Potter, Jr. The Treasure Diver's Guide (Revised Edition) (Garden City, New York: 1972) pg. 152.

You probably should check Horner's Treasure Galleons - my copy isn't close at hand.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo, If I'm not mistaken Jack Haskins has physically found the resting place of the Almiranta, Santisima in Cuba. To my knowledge ( which is limited on a good day ) Jack and his friends have never salvaged the wreck. I think Salvor 6 might know something about that project. ( I am not trying to say he was diving in Cuba, I think he knows someone that is trying to put a salvage project together for that wreck) :icon_pirat:

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old man, your memory serves you well my friend. Jack did indeed do the research and Ed Burtt from Canada believes he found the SANTISSIMA TRINIDAD from 1711 on the north coast of Cuba several years ago. Not surprisingly Ed had problems with the authorities there when it was time to begin recovery.

Pirate Diver

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ed Burtt and I are trying to find investors interested in sending us to Cuba. Ed knows the exact location of the Santissma Trinidad (and 20 other wrecks). Jack Haskins did the research. Unfortunately Jack is currently in a nursing home, near death. Ed had no problems with the authorities. He was working as project director for Visa Gold Resources. THEY (Visa Gold) had problems.

sailboatlarry

Aug 12, 2011
OH Yeah this is right up my ally. I couldn't really invest money But let me know if you need a qualified diver. I am only 90 miles from Havana.

SBL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread