Bahamas Information

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wreck of the USS San Jancinto, Green Turtle Cay, Abaco Bahamas.

USS San Jacinto (1850) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Divers have been collecting souvineers from this wreck for decades. Now, it's illegal even for a Museum to collect shipwreck Artifacts from their local waters without a Government permit. Don't get caught using a hookah to examine shipwreck remains without a permit either.

It's possible there could be other, unknown shipwrecks in the waters surrounding Green Turtle Cay. Who Knows? Imagine the excitement and media attention the Bahamas would receive if the little local museum is issued a permit and they should stumble across Treasure? Could this be a government consideration why a Bahamian Museum is not being issued. a local salvage permit? Will other out island Museums seek Government permits to salvage, causing an unwanted burden on the paper workers? I don't know, and anybody who does know, apparently ain't telling.

I got no dog in this permit dilemma, so I guess it's none of my business. Make of it as you will. Dell

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure salvaging can 'wipe out national debt' | The Tribune

ALEXANDRE, is doing everything he can to Trash Treasure Salvors to the Bahamian people and make a name for himself at our expense. If you want to counter his untruthful, egotistical defamation of character, please click on the link above, register, and provide some common sense comments to the page. This guy is waging war against us in the Bahamas. Jason? Dell

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted a reply to Alexandre's rant in the Bahama's Tribune newspaper.

ALEXANDRE, I'm sorry to sound disrespectful, but in your passion to ridicule Treasure Salvors you omitted the facts, and the truth. Dell

Folks, allow me to introduce my friend Alexandre. He is known Internationally for his egotistical rants which are of no credit to Archaeological academia. It's interesting that an article in the Tribune, has stirred up so much hostility in him as to infer that the Bahamian government, and people are stupid, and reference to "A sucker is born every minute? What has this man ever done for the Bahamian people that he feels he can speak in such a manner? I apologize that he can at times be fanatical, but overall he is an excellent Archaeologist, worthy of being hired by any Shipwreck Salvor.

I do not have all the details but from my viewpoint the Bahamas government is doing every thing right. To the best of my understanding the Shipwreck Salvage permits will be issued to Bahamian organizations, and corporations who have to meet a strict criteria and commit to providing both Archaeological, and important Geophysical data which will be obtained from the hundreds of square miles of ocean floor that will be systematically scanned electronically as a requirement for obtaining a permit. This is time consuming work that is too expensive to be undertaken by the government without the help of private enterprise.

Each lease holder is required to have at least one Marine Archaeologist in their group to comply with Government rules, regulations and Archaeological guidelines, who file their daily activity reports to the Bahamian Archaeologist designated to oversee the activities of the Salvage lease holders, and the compilation of data.

From what I see, the Bahamanian Government's plan makes this a win, win, situation for everyone.

Who knows, in this day of electronic technology, scanning the ocean floor for Shipwrecks, might discover the remnants of past civilizations. What a publicity coup that would be for the Bahamas. Shipwreck Salvors, could even invite Alexandre, to witness the worlds amazing discovery. Dell

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately Alexandre comes from that bread of “extremely selfish” archaeologist who would rather deny the majority of the world’s population knowledge of our past unless their little closed group of purist agree to give it to us.

For some misguided reason they believe they are the owners of our maritime history and they should control who sees it and who owns it.

At least the vast majority of Treasure Hunters can live with the knowledge that they have shared their knowledge and allowed millions of people to own a little piece of history, even if they did not manage to tell us ballast stone 2376 was 15mm away from ballast stone 4376.

Archaeologists have their place and that should be working for the Treasure hunters, but as they are too selfish to do this and lack the motivation, interest, or funds to see a large project through to the end they would rather spend their time stopping others from doing it.

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Just letting it be known that I will be returning to Florida April 1 and have no ties that hold me. If any salvage companies need a licensed 100 ton captain and dive master for working the Bahamas I am available.....just saying. Contact me for my résumé.

Diverlynn

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some interesting public comments have been added to the Bahamas Tribune article. Hopefully this will get the attention of more Bahamians, to educate themselves of the facts and show their support for this Government's effort to improve the country's economy. The delay in issuing Salvage permits may be political. But lets face it, if the US dollar is devalued, or crashes, the Bahamas Tourism industry would inevitably collapse. Gold, not Archaeology, could save a Nation and make them self sustaining. Bahamas, has the Gold. Dell

Last edited:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some interesting public comments have been added to the Bahamas Tribune article. Hopefully this will get the attention of more Bahamians, to educate themselves of the facts and show their support for this Government's effort to improve the country's economy. The delay in issuing Salvage permits may be political. But lets face it, if the US dollar is devalued, or crashes, the Bahamas Tourism industry would inevitably collapse. Gold, not Archaeology, could save a Nation and make them self sustaining. Bahamas, has the Gold. Dell

Hey Dell,
I don't think the delay is political I strongly believe they are trying to ensure it is done right as there will only be one chance to start it properly. Also there are many, many other more important issues to solve first.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
3 years later, has anyone heard any noises that might indicate any changes in attitudes about salvage efforts in Nassau?
I think there is an election coming around again in 2017.
If I understand the politics of it, the party in power, the PLP (Prime Minister Perry Christie's party) is a pretty far left outfit and the FNM is the right wing crew that might be interested in allowing salvors doing salvage. If this is correct, I am all for the FNM!
SADS - any news or rumors out your way?

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Being frank and honest......

I don't believe it matters at this moment in time which government is in charge, because the country has so much to do and spend on things like, hurricane issues and other items like crime and balancing the books that permits for shipwrecks are soooo far down the priority list they are just not going to be issued.

I personally think that it will be years before any progress is made in that direction, but who knows such things for sure. It is a very serious mistake to accuse any government here of being pro or anti any subject or issue.

These guys are politicians and have their hands very full juggling many balls in this very small country ( the size of a small US town) regardless which group is in power

However, if someone out there has found a "Doozy" take only video, keep the GPS numbers off the table, find a Bahamian that is respected in this field, Nick Mailis is one Ray Darville in Freeport is another and then go see Bahamas Mike ( Pateman) and just talk to him.

Don't go it alone, you are wasting your time as a foreigner.

Last edited:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My annual update inquiry....Anyone heard of any change in the Bahamian government's feelings about salvage? Any hope of change?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread