Bahamas Information

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
B

bahamamike

Feb 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ok, didn't want to post until I had some news, but I met with the Prime Minister yesterday, and licences will be issued very soon. I can't say much more than that right now. But, will share once I can.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's great news Mike! Progress, no matter how slow....is still progress. If we have divers rescuing artifacts in Bahamian waters soon, then I think you have done a great thing. Good luck.

Jason

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bahamas Govt dropped the ball and now they are kicking it around.Permits in the Bahamas sounded too good to be true for anyone outside that country.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok, didn't want to post until I had some news, but I met with the Prime Minister yesterday, and licences will be issued very soon. I can't say much more than that right now. But, will share once I can.

This was posted by Michael Pateman, in August 2012. Five months have gone by and not a peep from Mike. I know of E-mails that have gone to him and unanswered. High echelon government officials have gone silent on the issue. You would have thought they would have the courtesy to at least let the applicants know what is going on?

Was all the Government hullabaloo about salvage permits a scam? Dell

Last edited:

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They must be having a big party with all that bond money.Never trust a 3rd world country.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
FISHEYE said:
They must be having a big party with all that bond money.Never trust a 3rd world country.

I'll try and make some enquiries when I get to Nassau next week ( from Long Island) and post. With a new Government Bahama Mike may have been replaced. I know lots of people who speak well of him so there is something afoot if he has gone quiet.

Come on Fisheye, calling us 3rd world is unfair at the least especially as visitors always get a welcome ( if they behave that is dde0a).

I'll post as soon as I can and as honestly as possible about how the land lies from a simple guy on the grounds point of view.

Last edited:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
FISHEYE said:
If its a pirate wreck.Spain wont try and claim it.Nor will any other country.

No, but a million descendants will immediately come out of the woodwork pun intended.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
This was posted by Michael Pateman, in August 2012. Five months have gone by and not a peep from Mike. I know of E-mails that have gone to him and unanswered. High echelon government officials have gone silent on the issue. You would have thought they would have the courtesy to at least let the applicants know what is going on? Was all the Government hullabaloo about salvage permits a scam? Dell
Dell, I know one group that claims their permit was issued and is heading over in April to start work.

OP
OP
B

bahamamike

Feb 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This was posted by Michael Pateman, in August 2012. Five months have gone by and not a peep from Mike. I know of E-mails that have gone to him and unanswered. High echelon government officials have gone silent on the issue. You would have thought they would have the courtesy to at least let the applicants know what is going on?

I have answered all emails and questions that have come my way, and if I have missed any, then I apologize and please email me again. I stopped posting because I just don't know when the first permits will be issued. I was really of the impression that we were real close, but things got held up again. No bond money has been collected. Remember I decided to first post here so that I can be honest and upfront about everything, and so that everyone can be aware of what was going on in The Bahamas, and will continue to do that.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
bahamamike said:
I have answered all emails and questions that have come my way, and if I have missed any, then I apologize and please email me again. I stopped posting because I just don't know when the first permits will be issued. I was really of the impression that we were real close, but things got held up again. No bond money has been collected. Remember I decided to first post here so that I can be honest and upfront about everything, and so that everyone can be aware of what was going on in The Bahamas, and will continue to do that.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting it's always great to interact with a straight shooter. Good news for the Bahamas

Ayen

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dell, I know one group that claims their permit was issued and is heading over in April to start work.

Seems people on this forum still want to keep looking like fools posting propaganda and incorrect information, yet again making the legitimate people doing salvage work look like a bunch of idiots. How many times must people stick their foot in their mouth before learning to just do the work and not talk. Thanks for posting Michael Pateman but since there are no legitimate first round permits being issued to anyone on this site who is a regular poster I would have to say that your time is probably better spent elsewhere.

Last edited:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ayen said:
Seems people on this forum still want to keep looking like fools posting propaganda and incorrect information, yet again making the legitimate people doing salvage work look like a bunch of idiots. How many times must people stick there foot in there mouth before learning to just do the work and not talk. Thanks for posting Michael Pateman but since there are no legitimate first round permits being issued to anyone on this site who is a regular poster I would have to say that your time is probably better spent elsewhere.

I for one as a Bahamian want to hear ALL about ANY work completed in my country and I would not be very happy if anyone is just "doing the work and not talking" those days are over, or should be. I found a big anchor just this morning over 200 yrs old and the very first person I am going to is Michael Pateman with some photos for a chat and to decide with the governments help and guidance what the next move should be.

Last edited:

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Seems people on this forum still want to keep looking like fools posting propaganda and incorrect information, yet again making the legitimate people doing salvage work look like a bunch of idiots. How many times must people stick their foot in their mouth before learning to just do the work and not talk. Thanks for posting Michael Pateman but since there are no legitimate first round permits being issued to anyone on this site who is a regular poster I would have to say that your time is probably better spent elsewhere.
ayen, I guess your post is aimed at me. You said, I stuck my foot in my mouth. Let me tell you something bucko. I have an Admiralty Claim. I don't need to work in the Bahamas. I posted info that was given to me by someone that has applied for a permit. If he spoke out of turn so be it. I have been in contact with Bahamamike. I work on Historic Wrecks, I don't post to try and get people to try and get me a job diving or to tell the world what I have found or haven't found. If someone asks a questions, I try and answer it. If someone that applied for a permit, misspoke? Oh well. Please get off your high horse. :notworthy:

Last edited:

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rosco Thompson, is deceased. He and I supplied nearly all the shipwreck artifacts for Dr. Doris Johnson. Minister of Transport at that time (deceased} for her Museum on Shirley Sreeet in Nassau.

I have been trying to support the Albert Lowe Museum, on Green Turtle Cay, Abaco in any way I can. for them to set up a Ship wreck museum for the display of local Historic Shipwreck artifacts.

So far, they are experiencing difficulty to obtain a permit to recover shipwreck artifacts in their Harbour, and the Historic "San Jancinto" that lies just off shore.

There are historic artifacts deteriorating in the ocean, doing nobody any good, that with recovery and public display could help bring media attention to their Island, and improve the local tourist economy. The Museum has tried to meet the government requirements for local recovery and preservation of shipwreck artifacts, but as of my last contact with them there has been no word whatsoever from Mr. Patemans, office regarding their request for a permit?

Being an American, it can certainly be considered "None of my Business" but I do care deeply for the Bahamas, and my friends there. It's difficult to understand the politics of the Government not expediting permits that could benefit struggling economies of their own people, even in small ways.

Mike, I am very happy that you have come back on board. As, I have said before, No news from you, is NOT good news, and causes speculation. Please keep your word and keep us informed on a regular basis.

As far as I know, the new salvage permits are going to be issued thru Bahamaian companies. The question is, When? Dell

Attachments

• 01A3UH3F.jpg
    01A3UH3F.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Wreckers Museum 3.JPG
    Wreckers Museum 3.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I know I'm a "nobody" here but this is a great thread. I certainly hope this works out favourably for all parties invovled. Good luck gents!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread