How much treasure is actually at sea?

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
ScubaFinder said:
Take Bonnie Schubert for example. Her and her mom have spent years out on the water looking near Douglas Beach. Last year, they found a golden Pelican that is valued at between $800,000 and $1,000,000. They achieved about 7000 percent return on their total investment. That's one....I can keep going for days, but you only asked for 3 Alexandre.

The golden Pelican is a truly unique, priceless piece of art.
I say priceless, because it has never been sold. Once it has been sold at least once, it will have a confirmed value.

In the meantime, like many other such priceless artifacts, it cost money to keep it. Storage, conservation, maybe restoration, security etc.

It can be used as collateral to raise cash for running operations. Ah, not yet, there is still the problem with the division with the state. 25%? of what? As a unique artifact of great cultural and historical value, the state will want to keep it.

Once the state is satisfied with it's share, who else gets a share? The Fishers? 50%? How much is for the investors?
Now, we talked about percentages. How do the percentages get converted into cash?
Auction?
What is the cost of sale? About 10% commission of the auction house.
Other cost of sale? Insurance and shipping? 1%
Agent? 20%

Take any number and compute the percentages. See how much is left at the end.
Compute all the cost of operations, maybe several years, deduct and you have the balance.

Whatever the balance my be, the feeling of having won the lottery at the time of finding, is real. It is a feeling that one can get addicted to.
It is a truly unique feeling that only those who have felt it, will understand.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Whatever the balance my be, the feeling of having won the lottery at the time of finding, is real. It is a feeling that one can get addicted to.
It is a truly unique feeling that only those who have felt it, will understand. "

or the same addiction to the fulfillment of a life long dream!

My first ever shipwreck "treasure" was a 1/2 reale that I got in my first year I subcontracted on the 1715 Fleet, on our 94th hole we had blown.

It really didn't matter that it was a 1/2 reale or that it wasn't an 8 escudo. Neither would change my life financially, but it was that after 31 years of dreaming about finding shipwreck treasure that I had finally found some. :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions