May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Divers accused of shipwreck 'piracy'

16 October 2006 07:31

Three divers accused of modern-day piracy after a shipwreck was allegedly looted are due to go on trial in Italy today.

Nicholas Pearson, a property developer from Yarmouth, David Dixon, a marine consultant from Aylsham, and Kerr Sinclair, a diver from Corton, near Lowestoft, are accused of illegally diving and damaging the wreck of the Pollux, an Italian steamship which sank off the island of Elba in 1841.

If found guilty of stealing items from the wreck and damaging the artistic and cultural patrimony of property belonging to Italy, the men face up to four years in jail.

After three weeks of diving, they had recovered 311 French and Spanish gold coins, 2,000 silver coins, some diamonds and a gold locket believed to contain a lock of Napoleon's hair. At the time of the initial police investigation in 2001, they told the EDP they had consent from both the British and Italian governments and had stumbled across the Pollux while looking for another wreck. All three had hoped the matter was at an end after spending months on police bail and paying a fine to British authorities.

Yesterday, Mr Pearson and Mr Dixon were unavailable for comment, but Mr Sinclair said: "I thought this was all over. I'm sorry for what happened, and we did give everything back.''

According to Italian prosecutors, the group travelled to Italy in 2000 then chartered a salvage ship and bought permission to retrieve tin ingots from the Glen Logan, a British merchant ship torpedoed by a U-boat off the Tyrrhenian island of Stromboli in 1916. Instead, they diverted their course 460 miles northwards, where they found the wreck of the Pollux lying at 300ft.

Prosecutor Giuseppe Rizzo alleged: "These divers tricked their way on to the wreck and submitted false paperwork. Nothing would have been known about it had the auction house not become suspicious.

"They questioned how such an extensive collection of gold and silver coins which were from France and Spain could have been on board a British merchant ship sunk in 1916."

Pascal Kainac, a French historian, also faces charges at the court in Portoferraio, on Elba, accused

of supplying them with ancient

maps and co-ordinates.

Reports in French newspapers at the time of the sinking said the ship had been carrying a total of £12m of goods including 100,000 gold coins and 70,000 silver ones, as well as a gold carriage belong to the Contessa de la Roccau. Its passengers included a Russian countess and a Neapolitan duchess who were carrying diamonds and emeralds.

It sank in 15 minutes after being hit by another steamship on a voyage between Naples and Marseilles. Speculation in both Italy and France suggested the other ship was manned by pirates.

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news...gory=news&itemid=NOED15 Oct 2006 19:31:35:477

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Re: Divers accused of shipwreck 'piracy'

wreckdriver 1715.
Very good article but I think that there is much more to this story than we will ever know.
This is also a PRIME example of TRUSTING the wrong people or to many hands in the pie or GREED coming to the surface.
It is also another example of THers spending their own money and risking their lives to recover items that Both Governments HAD TO KNEW ABOUT but to sorry to go after it themselves.
It is easier to Mine the people than to get off their butts and do the work themselves-Governments that is.
Peg Leg

Batavia

Jul 29, 2006
Paris/Jakarta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As far as things are concerned, nobody is charging Pascal Kainic doing something illegal as searching and gathering for forgotten archives is not illegal !

Only Journalists like to add thing for their papers...

In this case, several "important" people in the salvage industry are involved since the beginning. It will surely come out if things go far.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've seen several jewelry items from the Pollux on eBay. I wonder where they came from.

Batavia

Jul 29, 2006
Paris/Jakarta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are you sure It came from the Pollux !?

Please, give us the link address if possible...

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm sure, but they're not on eBay anymore. It was several months ago.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

You've pretty much summed it up Grubby...we all feel about the same. Short of starting a treasure hunters union and getting some lobbyists on our side, what can we do? I've never understood why the states (or the feds for that matter) just get a free ride because they said so. Thus far I've seen very little actual effort or help from most states...it's more like they are vultures waiting for the hard stuff to be done so theit lawyers can pounce and claim everything.

Florida actually seems to be one of the better ones, at least their rules are cut and dry...if you follow them precisely you can get along just fine with the state, and 25% is not outrageous in my opinion. I do think artifiacts MUST reside in a museum, and proper archeological procedure must be followed. But once you have your artifacts and some gold to show off, the rest should be in the hands of the guy who did the work and risked his life. < / rant >

We've been over this a few hundred times...maybe someday we'll organize ourselves into some sort of unified front 9I think a few atempts have been made at that as well. Even if it was just signing petitions or whatever...someone to tell us who we can vote for to better our odds, etc. I don't know who could spearhead something like that, but I wish someone would...but of course...not ME ::)

Jason

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006

I will join such a Group.
Be happy to.
Peg Leg

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Hey Grubby, there have been about a dozen of those groups like P.T. Rampey and the Treasure Coast Coalition, SeaRex, Pro Sea, etc. etc. They were unable to do anything. It takes a lot of money to hire a lobbyist, donate to politicians' campaigns, bribe lawmakers, etc. I would like to see the treasure hunters that made millions pour some of that money back into a political action comittee or something like that but it will never happen. Enjoy yoursrlf and get all you can because eventually treasure hunting will be completely banned (like in Texas).

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

This is an age old problem. While I'm a little more optomistic than Pete is, I don't understand why OUR community is more than willing to work around rules and make concessions to appease the other side, but there side is rigid, and even changes the rules within an agreement to better suit their needs...and they call US pirates. Keep it up, and some will start to act like pirates, and then we have all gone backwards.

Just because twelve other groups have tried and failed, is no reason not to try! Giving up will do nothing more than give them free rein to impose whatever unjust legislation they please. Trying might not change the end result, but I hardly believe that every govt. official is a crooked, greedy, backhanded snake just looking to screw the honest treasure hunter...get real. These guys are being pressured by historians and archeologists, who come bringing two or three stories of an unscroupulous individual destroying an important wreck site just to plunder the gold.

Without our voice in the mix, this is all they will ever hear...and yes, we will loose the battle. But if we could show them how many treasure hunting teams are saving the states millions by doing the searching for them, splitting the finds with them, and using marine archeologists to ensure that the history is properly preserved, we might make some headway.

Not any easy task by any means, but a worthy endeavor no matter how you look at it. We just got a big win in Georgia or Alabama recently didn't we? I think we should use Florida as a model that WORKS, and push this into federal legislation. (I like lofty goals ;) ) Let the feds set the rules, and push them down to the state level. Then even Texan's could dive on their states wrecks. Being in Texas is one of the main reasons I support anything like this, our laws are ludicrous!!! Said ludicrous laws are why I plan to move to Florida.

Jason

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006

After reading the above post I think I may have come up with a PLAN.
Where does the problem start. NOT with the Lawyers because they can care less one way or the other. It starts in Universities or places of HIGH LEARNING ;D ;D
It concerns FREE GRANT MONEY.
If this Free money dried up there would not be a problem OR if there were more money to be had from other sources who do you think would go in another direction?
IT'S THE GREED FACTOR. Plain and simple.
Universities ALWAYS are looking for FREE MONEY.
What if there were GRANTS provided by Treasure Hunting Companies or just Treasure Hunters period.
This believe me would get rid of all the DUDLY DO RIGHTS and those Archaeologist with the HUGE private collections.
All you have to do is to estiblish a PRIVATE COMPANY that can meet with some of these Professors and show them what is available $$$ wise.
They can work under your guidelines and receive a GRANT or they can do without any funding.
This my friends is a true GRASS ROOTS project.
Another REAL problem is getting the MAJOR companies to work with you. BELIEVE ME THIS WILL BE VERY HARD BECAUSE THE MAJOR COMPANIES DO NOT LIKE THE SMALL THers. They will of course lease you a site that you can work PROVIDING they get a piece of the pie. Most of these sites have already been worked so what do they have to lose.
The bottom line is always MONEY-MONEY-MONEY.
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions