Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There is no sub off Cape Canaveral. Belive me.

OP
OP
macblastr

macblastr

Oct 17, 2006
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
excalibur 1000, 1280x, impulse
EASTERN SEA FRONTIER

February 24, 1942

ENEMY ACTION DIARY

1232: Pan-American plane sighted two submarines on surface at 35-05N; 67-10W.

1300: USS EMERALD (PY) attacked sub off Cape Canaveral, Fla. Feb. 24, 1942.

1632: SOS SS NORALORE off Diamond Shoals.

1850: Duty Officer, Lt. (jg) Martin DIO reported from 3ND, C. G. Norfolk. Buoys established near Diamond Shoals - flashing green whistle 225T. distance 8-1/2 miles from former position at Diamond Shoals. Flashing white buoy replacing Diamond Shoals Lightship. Flashing White bell 310T. distance 3-1/2 miles from former position.

February 25, 1942.

0030: SOS from SS JOSEPHINE LAWRENCE 35-53N; 75-08W. "Steering entirely disabled, need assistance immediately." - 15 minutes later, repaired and underway again.

0015: The GOFF reported (S250155 & S250720) on Feb. 25 at 0015 sighted two torpedo wakes and believes two subs in vicinity, Lat. 10-04N; Long. 79-41W.

Note: This location is about 45 miles from the Panama Canal, Atlantic Side.

Submitted

THOS. F. C. WALKER,
Lieut.-Comdr., USNR

NOTICE THE 1300 ENTRY

SO NO, I DONT BELIEVE YOU... DONT GET MAD THO :)

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somewhere on a cd of txt, i have the loran cords of that U-boat.i got the location off some fishing site.this was in 1995

OP
OP
macblastr

macblastr

Oct 17, 2006
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
ALSO HERE: 3RD PARAGRAPH AT THE END...

Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 4:55 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Indian Lagoon Coast Fishing Forecast

Indian Lagoon Coast Fishing Forecast, February 2003

Mosquito Coast Fishing Charters

Fishing on the lagoon coast of Florida last month was arduous to say the least. Consecutive cold fronts blasted the State with one wave of freezing air after another. Subfreezing temperatures and blustery winds complicated angling, pushing most fish into deeper water. At one point, water temperatures in the lagoon dropped into the forties, driving warm water species like snook, tarpon, and jacks south. On the bright side, some really nice days were mixed in between fronts and the subfreezing temperatures were short lived. There is no doubt this has been one of the coldest winters in years. Extended periods of water temperatures in the forties would devastate warm water species. If all indications are correct, our weather patterns have changed for the better and February should be an outstanding month for fishing and boating.

On the Indian, Mosquito, and Banana Lagoons, water levels are the lowest I’ve ever seen. The reason for this phenomenon is not clear, but the general consciences is the persistent westerly winds experiences this year have pushed lagoon waters out and disallowed ocean waters to return. This event has produces extremely skinny water conditions on the flats, so caution should be exercised when operating in these areas to prevent damage to the grass and your boat. Fishing opportunities on the lagoon flats this month will consist of good numbers of redfish, large sea trout, and black drum congregating in skinny water along the deeper edges. Combined with: sunny spring days, crystal clear water, and warming water temperatures, February is the prime time for site fishing. If your target is gator trout, check the docks that extend out into deeper water. Once the water temperatures begin to raise, the lager trout have a tendency to return to deeper water for the remainder of the year. Conditions are also prime for site fishing on the Banana Lagoon’s “No Motor Zone”. Good numbers of black drum are currently at hand tailing on the flats. Catching these fish can be challenging, but they will take live shrimp, clams, or fly if presented properly.

Offshore, kingfish are still present along inshore reefs, wrecks, and bars, and they will remain as long as water temperatures stay above 68 degrees. Target kings in the areas of 8A Reef, Pelican Flats, and Bethel Shoals. Also, look for cobia, and amberjack to be present on the inshore wrecks like the Carol Lee, Dutch, and Sub Wreck out of Port Canaveral.

Near-shore opportunities presented in February include: Tripletail along the Port Canaveral buoy line and under floating structure and weeds in deeper water, pompano, bluefish, Spanish mackerel, weakfish, small black drum, and whiting along the beaches, and pompano, flounder, sheepshead, and large redfish around the inlet jetties.

Hopefully, the pleasant weather conditions we are currently experiencing are a prelude to spring, and not and cruel hoax by Mother Nature. Either way, spring is around the corner, and now is the time to clean the rods, gas up the boat, and hit the water.

As always, if you need information or have questions, please contact me.

Good luck and good fishing,

Captain Tom Van Horn

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey macblastr, I can't believe that Indian River Lagoon water temp got in to the "forties." That just never happens. Also 45 miles from Panama Canal is no where near Cape Canaveral.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Pete,

The Panama Canal refference is another incident. The log posted showed all of the days activities. The log at 1300 is what macblastr is talking about. Seems pretty interesting to me! Anyone got the coordinates?

Robert in SC

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I also do not believe that there is a SUB off Cape Canaveral UNLESS it is in the Gulf Stream.
You must understand that this is also the area that Rocket and Missile parts fall and have fallen all over this part of the Atlantic Ocean.
I think IF there was a sub out there NASA would have the cords and the exact location recordered somewhere-now all someone has to do is find these records-if these exist that is?

I have lived in Brevard county most of my 69 years and I have never heard of the water temps in any Lagoon being this low but that is easy to check out.
Peg Leg

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It is odd that you can find reference to the sub on many fishing charts, but no wreck lists that I have. I suppose it's possible that a fisherman with a side imaging sonar could have scanned a rocket, interpreted it as a sub, and so the legend began. Sounds like it's a pretty good fishing spot! Maybe someone needs to dive it! :D I bet Robert would volunteer if someone would park him over it...I know I would!

Jason

OP
OP
macblastr

macblastr

Oct 17, 2006
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
the sum is south of the wreck of the carol lee. It is on most fishing charts, i plan on dropping a camera on it sometime soon... i was there a few weeks ago and the ocean was so flat you could waterski, but the current was rediculous... good fishin tho!

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I am having a friend that works for NASA try and find out more information concerning this SUB that is said to appear on fishing charts but I would bet the charts do not say THAT THIS OBJECT IS A SUB.
Should know something by the end of the week or sooner.
Peg Leg

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Current or no current! Lets drop a bouy on it and see whats down there! 90 feet is nothing!

Robert in SC

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
See, I told ya Robert would volunteer :D

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
who wants to go see the sub?
i got on one of the local fish forums an asked about the sub,heres what i got.

Re: wrecks
« Reply #1 on Today at 4:06pm »
It's a published wreck on the Top Spot Map.

« Reply #2 on Today at 4:13pm »
a lot of sharks there!!!!bring extra tackle!!!

« Reply #3 on Today at 4:18pm »
28 34.21 80 18.93

28 34.20 80 18.96

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
« Reply #5 on Today at 4:59pm »
Any West Marine or Boater's World will have the Top Spot map.

If you like wrecks and dive you need;

Ship Wrecks of the Sunshine State by Michael C Barnette.

Google the auther and buy it from him directly. I did. Save money and fast service. He lives near Tampa.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have that book. Most dive shops carry it. There are no subs listed off Cape Canaveral in that book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread