El Cheapo U/W Camera Scores First Shipwreck Find !!!

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I broke down and bought one of those tethered U/W video cameras that come with the cheesy black and white monitor. I got it brand new from Harbor Freight Tools for $99. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91309

The video quality is stunning but the only drawbacks are the 65' cable and the poor contrast of the monitor - in the process of re-wiring it to work on my portable 10" LCD monitor.

My buddy and I took it out last week to "ground-truth" some areas of interest and low and behold we found an uncharted wooden wreck with dozens of onion bottles poking up through the sand amongst the timbers. Most of the wreck is buried in the sand and it appears to have been at least partially broken up. Of course, upon seeing the first bottle we were ready to make a dash back to the dock and load up the hookah gear. Unfortunately, our waters have been choked with jellyfish for the last three weeks. I will keep you all posted and plan to record the video by patching in my digital camcorder as soon as we can get back out since the weather has really sucked lately.

Pcolaboy

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
This is great.
I have been looking for a CHEAP UW rig.
I just ordered one this monrning.
Thanks
Peg Leg

ScottyLee

Jul 4, 2006
Key Largo FL
I have one.....for $99 you can't beat it. I use it for shark feeding in the Bahamas and don't cry a tear when a shark runs away with the camera....lol

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Scotty, Got any of that video that's web ready? I'd love to see some of it. Also, do you work aboard the vessel in your avatar, looks like a nice boat!

AOSDC

Nov 25, 2006
Is that wreck the one you side scanned last week and posted?

What kind of cable is attached to camera? Is it a single cable?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread