Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Shipwrecks and sharks?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Apr 2012
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Shipwrecks and sharks?

Related to diving shipwrecks I guess.
    Ive been in the ocean all of my life. Sharks are an integral part of it. There home

Im curious though
    Has anyone had any problems with sharks while diivng on any of the 1715 wrecks? If so, what kinds?
    Do they get curious with the blowers and the dredges or stay their distance?

(buddies caught a 12 foot tiger and 8 foot hammerhead off the beach in the last few days, sparked my curiosity. Ive never personally been hassled..knock on wood)

us
    ARRG

Dec 2005
    Florida
    JW Fishers Pulse 8X
    17 times
    Shipwrecks
    They migrate every year Sharks in South Florida spotlighted by NBC's TODAY Show how ever I believe the blowers scare them because you know they are out there but they never come near the boat...Name:  sharks_florida.jpg
Views: 2524
Size:  24.1 KB
    Researcher, Scuba diver and adventurer , always on the quest of discovering, recovering, conserving and exhibiting colonial-era artifacts and treasure.
    Each excavation site is always treated as an archaeological project.
    "Preserving Maritime History For Future Generations"

us
    May 2011
    Ft Pierce Florida
    3 Aqua pulse, 1 Excalibur
    224 times
    Shipwrecks
    Banner Finds (1)
    No. We dont see very many sharks on the 1715 fleet.

If we do they are usually nurse sharks. I have never seen a bull shark diving for treasure, but i am sure it is coming.

I have seen a lot of sharks lobster diving and spear fishing but not treasure diving. I think the boat motor noise scares them off

Apr 2012
    5 times
    Chagy..Ive lived in Boca the last 5 years. The shark run is just absurd. Literatly out on a boat drifting and you just see hundreds of sharks under you. Its amazing. Sketchy, but amazing.

Booty: Thats what I figured. They like thrashing swimmers, but figured noises would scare them off. Bet someone has a really good story though haha

us
    May 2011
    Ft Pierce Florida
    3 Aqua pulse, 1 Excalibur
    224 times
    Shipwrecks
    Banner Finds (1)
    Cabin wreck, Douglas Beach, and the power plant are the places we have seen the most sharks. I always wondered the same thing when I started diving as a kid. I thought there would be sharks everywhere, but I quickly found out that is not the case.

Apr 2012
    5 times
    Booty..go dive Canaveral Shoals or Symrna haha
    The power plant, that place just looks sketchy to dive. Ive fished there commercially before and no thanks, like a mini Boca Grande

Charter Member
    us
    treasurelagoon.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    2593 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by ou8acracker2 View Post
    Booty..go dive Canaveral Shoals or Symrna haha
    The power plant, that place just looks sketchy to dive. Ive fished there commercially before and no thanks, like a mini Boca Grande
    I saw two inside the surf line yesterday while metal detecting. Very common sight at New Smyrna & Canaveral.

Apr 2012
    5 times
    Used to surf Symrna all the time..Ive seen more 10 foot+ plus sharks cruising in the lineup than I could handle. Waters always like coffee and just sketchy haha I dont surf there anymore.
    Prefer the clear water of south florida, least ya know whats about to hit ya haha

us
    ARRG

Dec 2005
    Florida
    JW Fishers Pulse 8X
    17 times
    Shipwrecks
    Bulls are usually close to the inlets....But hey why talk about this? Once you are in the water concentrated on finding treasure you don't even think about this, at least I don't....My buddy Salvor6 says when he sees a shark, he starts waiving his arms at them and makes allot of bubbles and this scares them away....Never seen him do it.....LOL.....But if it ever happen to me I will try it...LOL....Anyways in all my dives on the east coast I have never encounter one and hope I never do...
    Researcher, Scuba diver and adventurer , always on the quest of discovering, recovering, conserving and exhibiting colonial-era artifacts and treasure.

Charter Member

Jan 2008
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Booty Salvage View Post
    No. We dont see very many sharks on the 1715 fleet.

If we do they are usually nurse sharks. I have never seen a bull shark diving for treasure, but i am sure it is coming.

I have seen a lot of sharks lobster diving and spear fishing but not treasure diving. I think the boat motor noise scares them off
    If I saw a bull shark diving for treasure, I would let him have it!
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.-Mark Twain

Apr 2012
    5 times
    I dont know. Just getting stories from folks on the boards. I figured there was at least one good one, but so far nothing. If it counts, I almost got owned by a tiger in cape hatteras surfing...decided at the LAST second to turn away. Crystal clear water too

us
    ARRG

Dec 2005
    Florida
    JW Fishers Pulse 8X
    17 times
    Shipwrecks
    If my memory serves me well I believe that Bob Marx wrote in one of his books that sharks were not interested in treasure divers but in fish. After writing the book he got bit by a shark (I think in the Bahamas) Then when he was asked about his statement on sharks in his book he said; I guess that shark didn't read my book.....

Apr 2012
    5 times
    hahaha that made me chuckle..Im going to knock on a heck of a lot of wood

Apr 2008
    11 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    We lose a Sub-Contractor or two every year to sharks!!!!
    ScubaFinder likes this.

Apr 2012
    5 times
    natural selection as its finest

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors