1715 cape canaveral wreck still puzzles me...

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"Regardless of what states laws are, there is not one person in free America that will keep me from doing what I want to do and where and when I want to do it. To do it the right way would take decades of time that I find to be more valuable to me than political stalling. Changing the rules and allowing treasure hunters to make a claim would allow more treasures in the world to be brought to everyones examination in museums. If the museums can’t outbid the privateers, that is not the fault of the treasure finder, it is the fault of the museum for not offering more than the privateers."

This is from Lockdownking's blog.

Last edited:

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From reading the blog it seems as if an exploration permit was never applied for...

If one feels that obtaining a contractor's license in the State of Florida is too cumbersome and doesn't want to jump through the State's red tape but then goes ahead and starts to build a house anyway they should expect to be shutdown mid project, fined and prosecuted.

While one might not like the laws, they are the laws and if you don't want to do the time, don't do the crime.

FWIW there's a big difference between pointing to a chart claiming there is a wreck there than actually discovering one in the water.

The "Douglas Beach" wreck was such a case. Beachcombers finding coins thought the wreck had to be right off the beach where their coins were being found. Mel Fisher scoured the offshore area finding nada. They eventually found it over half of a mile away from where the beachcombers thought it was! It's a big ocean!

One can point to practically any spot on Florida's coastline and claim there's a shipwreck there and be correct. A tell tale sign of a Spanish ship would be large amounts of "olive jar" pottery sherds. But that still wouldn't necessarily make it a "treasure galleon".

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
In 1961 I found a ships mast way up in the dunes...digging a campfire pit....was about two feet deep..and 20 foot-long...and fractured......my neighbor in the duplex we lived in on base was Dan Thompson....I went and got him and he came down and said yup...old..looks like Spanish....lets bury it again, we don't want anybody to know where this is....there is a pic here of that day on the site here.....and this was directly across from the Cape hart housing and Melbourne High school..so ...makes a lot of sense of another wreck right out front left or right a bit ...of this location...

Interesting, but Melbourne High School is nowhere near existing dunes. It is 1 mile inand on the mainland. Satellite Beach HS is however in the vicinity of A1A....

liverock

May 23, 2008
My bad...it was Satellite Bch High school....we lived just across the field from it then in 1961....was a short walk right down to the beach...is where I found it...

Last edited:

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
I wrote a couple of articles on the topic.

“Could the Harnett “Paper Wreck” be the Missing 1715 Fleet Concepción? – An Archaeological Analysis.” MARITimes, Volume 12, Number 2, Spring 2014. (Pages 7-11)

“Could Heartland Treasure Quest Have Found the Missing 1715 Fleet Concepción? – An Alternative Theory.” MARITimes, Volume 12, Number 3, Summer 2014. (Pages 5-8)

Both were donated to the McLarty Museum. Visit Ed there or PM me if you would like a copy. Rob

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
My bad...it was Satellite Bch High school....we lived just across the field from it then in 1961....was a short walk right down to the beach...is where I found it...

All this talk of treasure just off shore, Do you know how dirt cheap it was to buy river or oceanfront land in that whole area in the 60's? . Even in actual dollars, cheaper then the Southern coast of Texas today.
A friend of the family bought 55 acres of river front for $60,000 in the early to mid 70's. By the mid 80's he had developed over 80 houses on it. He owned and passed his time at a Greek restaurant at the foot of that community for many many years afterwards.

My childhood friend and school mate, knuckle ball Red Sox Pitcher (and 2x world series champion) Tim Wakefield lives in his three and 1/2 million dollar tract home in the very near vicinity.
( yes, I had very good seats at the 2004 World Series )

Last edited:

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wreck that Seafarer Exploration found has nothing to do with the 1715 fleet. They think it is the wreck of Pedro Mendenez's son's ship.

You mean, the capitana of Juan Melendez disappeared in 1563?

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes but I thought it was Pedro Menendez, governor of Florida.

This galleon was seen last time near Bermuda. How came and wrecked in Florida? All the evidence I could find and I published in my book Galleons and sunken treasure , suggest that sank in Bahamas.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Is that the one 3 days sail from Inagua in a small boat? Is so its 40 miles from my house!!

Last edited:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Confusing, your book says the escaped guys sailed for 3 days in a small boat?

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throughout the chapter other sources mentioned 5 or 6 days from Inagua

....... Castillo, two Spaniards and some Englishmen managed to
escape. One night they seized a boat that had been spared. He and
two Spaniards went from one key to another. These cays were
uninhabited. After four or five days sailing from one key to another,
they landed on a key where they found the treasure.

Possible: He said they sailed for five or six days among the cays
and islands.

shucker69

Greenie
Apr 6, 2015
Oakville
Detector(s) used
minelab excaliber
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sounds like a fun riddle.
How many Cays are within 9 - 13 days sail of the Point of Beginning ?
Is it possible whoever began the original story elaborated on the escape.
How many days would it take to sail a small Laser or Sunfish Sail boat with or without supplies and the weight of multiple boat people at less than 12 knots in the seas during the period in question of the alleged escape ?
Is the frequency of stopping the voyage based on food and water ? Or was it derived from sailing knowledge at hand for the captors ?
Lastly SADS, what Cays are near the available shipping channel in which a larger vessel would choose to drop anchor and bury some loot ?
Have not studied the tale in question.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread