Any info on a Treasure Coast Fl. Resident?(Found his nautical charts/some reasearch)

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning all. Just a short intro and we'll see if this might be interesting to any Treasure veterans here.
I'm a remodeller on the Treasure coast that will dive in a heartbeat (dumpsters that is). On visiting our local landfill I came upon a box that had been discarded. I thought it had old house plans in it I might be able to use.:icon_thumleft: Turns out most were local nautical charts (+-10) and large manila envelopes. Dates on the envelopes was the mid '70's with a local address to a Col. George Jones (don't think he was the country music George Jones). Some of the charts were definitely fishing related because he marked what was reportedly being caught, but also hangs and snags (with nets?) and bottom mineral composition. Lots of other material in the box leads me to believe it was research he did on more than fishing!
My question is whether anyone from this area knew or were familiar with this George Jones and if you do can you share any insight on him and his intentions? My quick internet search on him didn't reveal anything, which is why I thought of Treasurenet and this forum in particular.
Thank you in advance for any insight and it sounds like the annual picnic might be fun if it is open to the public. Cliff

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I of course would like to see these charts very much ...sadly if it was in a dumpster .. the owner is likely passed away ... I am making sure that when I pass on that my research papers and data WILL BE passed along to others that could use it ..

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Yes Cliff, The cookout has a lot of characters coming. Old, young, fat, skinny, ugly and pretty. If you fit one of these categories, you might just fit in. I happen to be old, fat and pretty....See you there!

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cliff....your MOAR than welcome to attend!! ...of course...there IS a nominal entrance fee....say.....a bottle or 12 of Appleton Estate? *cough cough*

:occasion14:

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks one and all for the warm welcome. Rushing off to work on a project but will return to continue and will plan on coming to the pickynic! And only 12 bottles will suffice?:occasion14:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to the forum, Pete. I'm in Sebastian. Stop and say hi. :)
Mr George Carpenter Jones III was born on 6/2/1934 in Sandy Springs, GA. He attended The Webb School ( a private boarding school, est 1870) from which he graduated in 1952. He reached his expiration date in Vero Beach on March 4, 2016 at age 81. His obituary is not much help as to his background, but his father was a VP for an Atlanta Department store called J.M. High and passed away at age in 1954. His grandfather is also mentioned a time or two in the Atlanta newspaper around 1915.
I do not recall his name being mentioned in conjunction with the Fleet....BUT...
In 1963 or 64, Captain John Jones was an Air Force Captain assigned to Harry Cannon as a range safety officer and went to work with Real Eight. He was one of the 2 divers that found the crate of intact porcelain cups in 1964. He is mentioned in "Pieces of Eight" in many places, in "The Rainbow Chasers Tricentennial Yearbook" he is mentioned several times and was the Sec-Treasurer of Real Eight in 1969-70 and likely in many other books as well. I'll bet a nickel or two that Captain John Jones was George Carpenter Jones III's brother.
There's your connection to the treasure business. :)
Bingo.
Edit: Also...in Real Eight ( I believe) it is mentioned that Capt Jones is from Atlanta.
Captain Jones was a shareholder in Real Eight <Treasure Diver's Guide, Potter>
Captain John P. Jones was the President of Real Eight in 1971 - <http://www.1715fleetsociety.com/history-real-eight-company-documents-letters/ >
This
" 11:00 AM - Noon - Last known interview of the REAL EIGHT Group.A video-taping was done in 1997 during a library event. The late Dr. Kip Kelso is the emcee and he will be asking questions of Col. Dan Thompson, Lieut-Col. Harry Cannon, Louis J. Ullian, Chief Warrant Officer Bob Johnson, John Jones, Technological Consultant, Del Long, Master Machinist, and Rex Stocker (nephew of Kip Wagner)." can be found at: <http://www.irclibrary.org/genealogy/1715.htm >

OK...We have established that Capt John P. Jones was a participant in 1963 onwards, part owner by 1964 and the President of Real Eight in 1971.

Now Cliff...it's up to you, sir.

Last edited:

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mr George Carpenter Jones III was born on 6/2/1934 in Sandy Springs, GA. He attended The Webb School ( a private boarding school, est 1870) from which he graduated in 1952. He reached his expiration date in Vero Beach on March 4, 2016 at age 81. His obituary is not much help as to his background, but his father was a VP for an Atlanta Department store called J.M. High and passed away at age in 1954. His grandfather is also mentioned a time or two in the Atlanta newspaper around 1915.
I do not recall his name being mentioned in conjunction with the Fleet....BUT...
In 1963 or 64, Captain John Jones was an Air Force Captain assigned to Harry Cannon as a range safety officer and went to work with Real Eight. He was one of the 2 divers that found the crate of intact porcelain cups in . He is mentioned in "Pieces of Eight" in many places, in "The Rainbow Chasers Tricentennial Yearbook" he is mentioned several times and was the Sec-Treasurer of Real Eight in 1969-70 and likely in many other books as well. I'll bet a nickel or two that Captain John Jones was George Carpenter Jones III's brother.
Bingo.

REALLY nice job Bill...

TreasureCDave

Jun 5, 2015
Florida Treasure Coast
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Eggscellent research oh sage of the hermit cave.

Cliff, excuse Bill ... he may be high from cold meds :tongue3:

John: his phone works ... he just don't charge it much.

As far as stop by and say hi .... that is very literal as he don't get out much :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1963 or 64, Captain John Jones was an Air Force Captain assigned to Harry Cannon as a range safety officer and went to work with Real Eight. He was one of the 2 divers that found the crate of intact porcelain cups in . He is mentioned in "Pieces of Eight" in many places, in "The Rainbow Chasers Tricentennial Yearbook" he is mentioned several times and was the Sec-Treasurer of Real Eight in 1969-70 and likely in many other books as well. I'll bet a nickel or two that Captain John Jones was George Carpenter Jones III's brother.
Bingo.
Edit: Also...in Real Eight ( I believe) it is mentioned that Capt Jones is from Atlanta.
Well, tar and feather my petunias, thank you for that "little" connecting tidbit. That is a very interesting read and something that would never be found in any reference book. I have a 1971 edition of "The Treasure Hunters Guide" and even though I didn't see his name in it, he did pencil "The Treasure Bbl" on one page of the trove I found.
BTW- I guess rescuing the box was meant to be. When I first saw the box it was sitting on top of a roll off dumpster near the edge about to be hauled up the hill and dumped. The truck operator loaded the roll off and left to dump it. I thought the box was gone with him but when I looked next to the empty one just delivered, there it was. This is the eerie part though, when I got home and looked inside the box, one item was a slip of paper with a shopping list on one side and a note on the other that said "Cliff called... Wreck? Computer" and then some coordinates.!!!!! Honest (No rum or April jokes were involved in this find). Truth really is stranger than fiction. You guys are awesome. At the very least I'm ahead because I have some some great fishing locations marked on one map!
I will plan on coming to the pickynick and saying hey (Will name tags be worn to help us feeble minded sorts?) Cliff

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Yes Name tags are essential. A fisherman said he had been going to the Atocha main pile for years never guessing what was 50 feet under his boat! LOL.

TreasureCDave

Jun 5, 2015
Florida Treasure Coast
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes Name tags are essential. A fisherman said he had been going to the Atocha main pile for years never guessing what was 50 feet under his boat! LOL.

Fisherman are a valuable resource for THers in the islands and all over the world. One guy on here stopped to buy a cast need as a gift for leads recieved from local fisherman. Net snags from shrimp boats are a nice resource as well.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
fisherman's "snag charts" are often money in the bank --for more than fish and shrimp

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
fisherman's "snag charts" are often money in the bank --for more than fish and shrimp
Ivan,
Good Point. I have two nautical charts from a commercial Fisherman,, listing all the snags that he found from Charleston S.C. to N. FL.
I'll bring them to the cookout. If you want to see them, see Aquanut at the cookout. He and I will be glad to show them to you.

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivan,
Good Point. I have two nautical charts from a commercial Fisherman,, listing all the snags that he found from Charleston S.C. to N. FL.
I'll bring them to the cookout. If you want to see them, see Aquanut at the cookout. He and I will be glad to show them to you.
Snags and such are listed on one of the charts I found also, but it goes from the Louisiana area of the Gulf to the Carolina's.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
John, if he wants to compare them? I don't have any problem with you showing him the two charts that I am bringing to the cookout.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A fisherman said he had been going to the Atocha main pile for years never guessing what was 50 feet under his boat! LOL.

Capt Syd Jones told me that the stacked silver bars were covered with fish hooks and full of lobsters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread