Steamboat wrecked by tornado, $60,000 cargo and Captain's safe lost.

bobfoundit

Greenie
Feb 27, 2017
SD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
June 22, 1877

Gen Mark D Flower of St Paul, owner and captain of the Missouri River steamboat the Osceola held a contract with the Government in 1877 for transporting freight to different points on the Yellowstone River and while engaged in this work encountered a tornado on June 22d when near the mouth of Powder River 225 miles from Bismarck. Of the particulars of the storm which was the only one ever reported of a similar character in which a steamboat was destroyed while under way General Flower gave out a statement in substance as follows:

"The tornado struck us at six o clock in the evening of June 22 and in the twinkling of an eye reduced the staunch little steamer to a helpless wreck, threw us into the river and damaged or destroyed a great part of our cargo. The boat was proceeding up the Yellowstone at a point 225 miles above Bismarck. We were near the mouth of Powder River and not very far from the scene of the Custer massacre last year. The banks of the river are low at this point. We had no timber for shelter or even to tie the boat to. In all my experience I never witnessed anything so terrible.

The tremendous wind accompanied by hail and rain came down on us with only a moment's warning catching us on our starboard quarter and careening us over to an angle of about forty five degrees when our entire upper works, cabin, smokestacks, steam pipes and all were swept into the boiling surging current of the Yellowstone. Relieved of the upper works the boat righted up and by this means our lives were saved. Many were blown overboard but saved themselves with the assistance of the floating wreckage and others who were lucky enough to hold to the floating hull.

The cabin and upper works were split into kindling wood and floated away. After the storm had somewhat abated by strenuous efforts the hull or what may more properly be termed the remains of the wreck was fastened to the shore and we proceeded to save what we could of the Government freight amounting to some sixty thousand dollars which was considerably damaged.

Much of the cargo went into the river and floated away. I was blown sixty feet from the hurricane roof and fell in the river striking a spar and injuring my side and back seriously. Mrs Flower who was the only lady on the boat went overboard with the cabin but was rescued. She lost her entire wardrobe however excepting the clothing she wore.

Captain Haycock and his son Abner Haycock of St Louis were my pilots and both stood to the wheel until blown with the pilot house into the river. The entire force of officers crew and carpenters did their duty faithfully. J Jones, fireman and Bob Small, second cook, both of Memphis Tennessee were drowned.

My safe containing books and papers and several hundred dollars in money went to the bottom irretrievably lost We remained near the wreck until we saved all we could of the freight and until passing boats took it away and rescued us. I had no insurance as companies refused to insure against the unknown dangers of the Upper Missouri and Yellowstone."

HISTORY OF DAKOTA TERRITORY by George Washington Kingsbury, pages 576, 577

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The New Orleans daily Democrat. (New Orleans, La.), 10 Aug. 1877.

0000.jpg
0001.jpg
0002.jpg

The New Orleans daily Democrat. (New Orleans, La.) 1877-1880, August 10, 1877, Page 7, Image 7 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread