Marine Sonics SS Towfish Cable needed

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am posting in the Shipwreck forum due to the nature of the system...I hope that's ok...

Gentleman-

I am in need of an extended towfish cable. Minimum length.....300 meters. System specs as follows.

Marine Sonics SSPC Centurian system...2005 DOM

The sonar system draws approximately 36-40 watts of electrical power during
operation (3-4 amps at 12 VDC).

The Towcable used by all Sea Scan PC systems consists of
three coaxial cables twisted and wrapped to provide 6 separate conductors. The
coaxial elements are similar to RG-174 cables with a characteristic impedance of 50
ohms. The inner coaxial cables are covered with a thin protective layer of polyethylene
and jacketed with a Kevlar strength member (1250 lb. (568 kg) breaking strength)
and an outer Polyurethane or Polyethylene cover.

Wet End connector Dry End Connector
(DGO Part Number Conxal Part Number
1281241-101) 5282-6PG-3xx)

A 28 VDC power & Left channel data A/1 (spot)
B Power and left channel return B/2
C Right Channel Data C/3
D Right Channel return D/4
E +5 VDC control voltage* E/5
F Control Voltage return* F/6
Note: * Control Voltage is only required for use with Dual frequency
towfish to shift between frequencies. It has no function with single frequency
towfish. Towcables with shorts or opens in conductors E and F can be used with
single frequency towfish without problems.

The cable should have a resistance around 8.2W per 100meters (2.5W
per 100 feet) for the data channels, and 2.1W per 100meters (0.64W
per 100 feet) for the return channels.

I would be VERY appreciative if anyone has a OEM cable available for short term rental or sale at a reasonable price. Please contact me here at T'net ( agflit)..or email me.

[email protected]

Sure hoping someone out there has one gathering dust in the back of the possibles locker!!

Thankyou,

Agflit

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a tough one. The unit is max rated at 300m (static) and it came with 100m cables.

Getting to 300m at 24VDC (unit uses between 10 to 36 VDC on application) will not be an OEM cable, and in reality, would be pretty big diameter. The working load on that much cable will be an issue.

As an example, the difference in price for tether on the unit we use is 100m=$3000 and 300m is $18,500. (Lengths past 100m go to fiber optic)

If you built your own, you can get the wire rope to handle the load, attach the coax and power as individual wire bound to the wire rope. I am not sure of the coax feed would go that far without a repeater. (note that the max cable length for COAX is 100m before a repeater) You will be fighting the data capability of the system, and without repeaters, I dont think the unit will work.

All of these types of units are rated at 300m (by simply filing the 100m case with oil), and this is 300m static, (which is why they usually only have 100m tethers) so the at depth dynamic pressure will need to be considered.

Good luck as you are fighting an uphill battle on many fronts here.

OP
OP
A

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
seeker-

Thanks for the response.....you have pretty much hit on the salient points in regards to the cable issue... I know that MS's had an OEM 300m cable available for the unit in the past...matter a fact..at one point the system was used for a job that Marine Sonics supplied a 300m cable for on a short term basis. I was REALLY hoping that someone somewhere...may have one of those rare monsters lying unused.

I will continue to explore options, and hope for the best..but prepare for the worse lol. May be a case of building a custom cable or renting a 300m unit for this job. In the meantime..if anyone knows of one..please contact me. I'd appreciate it very much!!

agflit

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ag,

Just drop them a line, they will know where those units are, or perhaps have a used one for sale.

I would also ask them the actual depth the 300m unit can go, in your water conditions (fresh/salt) tempersature, and the max towspeed as that will determine the dynamic pressure and the real max depth. I can almost guarentee it wont be 300m in salt water at 4-6 kts.

Here is idea of the size of the reel needed. Note there is a difference in cable vs towcable ie the 300m cable reel can only have 200m of Marine Sonic towcable. (and the 500m reel is needed for 300m of MC towcable)

http://www.eanda.hk/Seascan_winches.htm

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread