1563 Capitana

austu

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would appear to me after having read all I can that the preponderance of evidence points to the Capitana going down in deep water on the open ocean. Of the 13 vessels comprising the Nueva España flota 8 made it back to Spain, 3 limped into Monte Christo, the Angel Bueno sank on the high seas, which leaves only the Capitana unaccounted for. Bonifacio’s research of original archival documents reveals a ships captain and a pilot both state they had left the Bahama Channel and were closing in on Bermuda when the hurricane hit. This pretty much seals the deal for me.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here ya go, Mike...some context from my file on Angel Bueno...

There is a nice bit in Lubos Kordac's "2nd Ed of Historic Shipwrecks of the Dominican Republic and Haiti" on pp 55-56 on the 1563 fleet as well.
I have 5 signed copies of that book direct from Lobo for sale to help raise a little money for his family and his wife's cancer treatment. I'd like to get $50 each, but we would take more...I also have 5 signed copies of his book "The Treasures of Roberto Cofresi" and one signed copy of "Tesoro Nazi" en espanol. PM if interested. They go on EBay this weekend if I have any left.

From El Pais in 2007 - in which El Angel Bueno is listed as having been found: https://www.expatica.com/es/news/country-news/Charting-Spains-sunken-treasures_151020.html

The news report from 2016: Have the 1563 wrecks of the Angel Bueno and La Concepcion been found? | FL Keys News

Here is the supporting video from Paul Robinson of The Bronze Cannon Corporation.

and another video by Bronze Cannon Corp done a few months later:

The link to the Kickstarter project that Bronze Cannon Corp tried to raise money to do a documetary on the project- with the Deep Venture (which spent 2004 to 2016 aground on an island due east of Squid Lips restaurant and marina until it was refloated by Hurricane Matthew, taken to Sebastian Inlet Marina, cut up and discarded) mysteriously used as the representative vessel: https://www.backerkit.com/projects/412614229/finding-the-treasure-of-el-angel-bueno-a-documenta

and a couple of relevant TNet posts: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/241815-oldest-wreck-us-waters.html and this at : http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/490092-about-1563s-juan-menendez-fleet.html

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The search continues, confidence is high, mag mag mag !! Mag boat just got repowered. I lend a hand down there when I can, wish I wasnt so busy fising lately or id be down there more. Evidence is compeling, ive seen it first hand !!

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From which planet does this story come from?

OP
OP
A

austu

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Bronze Cannon Corp.have been searching since the sixties and these vessels are laden with treasure,surely some of it would have been found by now!

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Bronze Cannon Corp.have been searching since the sixties and these vessels are laden with treasure,surely some of it would have been found by now!

What concrete evidence they have of being a ship of 1563? They have checked a list of cannons? Show of coins?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im happy to be a part of it all !! Its been great learning the mags, and getting involved. It would be way out of bounds for me to say any more......so....ill just say were up and running again after an engine repower. Im an uderwater detectorist/deck hand, I fill the gaps whenever needed. I would not jeopardize a working relationship by speaking out of turn. Im sure you guys know how this works, sorry I dont speak for bronze cannon corp, I just work with them when I can. And I love it.
Happy hunting

OP
OP
A

austu

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just watched a Bronze Cannon Corp. video on their claim that 2 of the 1563 flota sank on American Shoals in the Florida Keys. The narrator says the fleet left Habana on September 7. This piece of info is absolutely key. Other researchers say around mid August is when it left. Bonifacio’s tells us from his original document research that the captain of a Honduran ship that made lt back to Montecristi informs us that on Sept.7 after leaving the Bahama Channel they sailed into a huge storm. This timeline makes much more sense. Can anybody definitively explain this critical discrepancy?

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Menendez fleet of 1563 sailed from Havana on August 13 and crossed the Strait of Florida. There were no hurricanes in the Caribbean that year and the bad weather caught the fleet at sea, bound for Bermuda.

Salieron el 13 agosto.JPG

OP
OP
A

austu

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Vox Veritas for that crucial piece of information. Also the fact that the 3 surviving ships chose Montechristi as the port to make for shows how far out in the Atlantic they must have been. If they had been hit in the Florida Keys surely they would have made for Habana.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a letter written by the famous Alvaro de Bazan from the high seas in the Azores in October 1563. The bad weather surprised Juan Mememdez's fleet "on the Bermuda". No comment!

Alvaro de Bazan capitana 1563 Bermuda.JPG

Attachments

• Alvaro de Bazan capitana 1563 Bermuda.JPG
    Alvaro de Bazan capitana 1563 Bermuda.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 78

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the 1563 fleet did disappear around
Bermuda, will be interesting to find out what ship(s) the bronze cannons came from near American Shoals

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the 1563 fleet did disappear around
Bermuda, will be interesting to find out what ship(s) the bronze cannons came from near American Shoals

It is necessary to see the cannon and its marks. There can be hundreds of shipwrecks in the Florida Keys, and then I will look at my files.

GreenHiker

Jul 8, 2010
GA, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ20, Garrett

I ran CaptHawk's article above that is in Spanish, through google translate and got the following (somewhat garbled) translation -

Sevilla, Jul 11 (EFE) -The galleons, the great ships of the Navy four or five centuries ago have a special legend around them, a very specific charm for those who seek them, but there is one that could see the light before the end of the year, made in Vizcaya, which thanks to an original formula will not only be able to refloat the ship or its contents, but to make it profitable.

And it is that five centuries of history contemplate the wreck of the Galleon "Our Lady of the Conception ", shipwrecked in 1563 off the coast of the Bahamas, which now wants to refloat or at least take performance to its load by means of the system of "Blockchain ", a record shared by connected computers where two-part transactions are registered and filed in a verifiable, permanent and anonymous manner without the need for intermediaries.

A task that is active part of the Canary based in Seville Claudio Bonifacio, together with Matthew Arnett, CEO of the company PO8, a company that already has all the permits to start diving when autumn arrives and find in the heart of the "Our Lady of conception " what the sea has kept for 480 years.

The "Blockchain " system allows "tangible assets to be exchanged in a digital market and remain in the custody of PO8 toshare with the archaeology community, while the owners of these tangible assetsare all over the World, " said Arnett, whose company is headquartered inthe Bahamas.

But first, you have to dive, and not too deep, as Claudio Bonifacio explains that the boat can be about eight meters below sea level," and that, although it facilitates the work of finding it, also makes your helmet and structure can be more deteriorated, which does not happen in ships that have been left in the seabed deeper after sinking. "

Although the initiative is a company, has an informative purpose, as everything you find is to show around the world through the work of the foundation set up.
Its leaders are in these days in Seville, in order to finalize all the details, with the attraction of having in the capital Seville the archive of the Indies, with 46,000 files that talk about the importance these ships had, of what they loaded, of their routes, and of everything aroundthe immense legacy that follows underwater.

Matthew Arnett argues that his work also has an environmental aspect, because "our commitment is with nature, with the ecosystem in which we are going to work, so that we commit to that, when we leave the area where we have worked, let's not how we find it, but better yet, restoring the navy, and even Restaurándola. "

However, it is not a cheap idea, as they have marked to raise 30 million dollars, and already have 10, with contributions that havecome from China, South Korea, Japan or the same Bahamas, which has given them exclusive permission to work, so that no company or natural person can dive at the point where the galleon is without belonging to PO8.

The objective is that in the month of November one could have rescued part of the treasure that the "Our Lady of the Conception" kept in its cellars, an immense captain that, five centuries later, can see the light thanks to this idea mixture of romanticism and technology.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread