SCATTER PATTERN:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Rege-PA said:
however I fear that a good storm or hurricane might obliterate all traces of it and maybe not resurface in our lifetime. Still we must try it.

If it does, we still have some results! But yes, this experiment could be long term. And then on the other hand we could get some quantitaive results almost immediately.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
RGecy said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Its a matter of thixotropics. :D

Are you sure you are using that term properly?
Not sure. I borrowed the word from Cappy Z's ongoing thixotropic sand experiments.
RGecy said:
But, where did the coins come from????????? Did they wash in or are they washing out?
I would say both, depending upon the location.
Lighter objects like thin coins, spikes, or sheathing are thrown ashore when the waves can get under them I have no doubt. Heavier bricks may be hard to move, although I have seen large rocks deposited on the beach. If treasure is in the dunes, they can be exposed from wave erosion. I am certainly no expert, but I look for large shell (pic)and rock deposits which often contain other goodies. I dont waste my time in thin wind blown sand deposits.

Attachments

• bathtub beach shell.jpg
    bathtub beach shell.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 418

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
Hi Cornelius and SWR

You are both well educated persons. Why do you guys get so upset when a man try to educate himself. All Peg is doing is performing an experiment to ease his curiosity. I agree with you that the experiment will probably not solve the riddle of the scatter pattern, but who knows the knowledge from the experiment may help to establish new theories or "confirm" existing.

The history is full of people who changed the world by making experiments that most people thought where a waste of time. So please dont give a man a hard time just because he is marching to a different drummer ;)

/V

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
Look guys, the experiment that Peg propose will not enlighten us on every secret of the scatter pattern of known wrecks. But then again - it might result in increased knowledge of the dynamics involved. Who knows it might just confirm existing beliefs or it might turn up results that will assist a salvor or beachcomber in finding hot spots.

Personally - I would much rather do the same type of experiment to find out how the propwash from mailboxes disperse the goodies. This will help the salvors find out what got away :D

I agree that Peg Leg that Peg Leg does not do thing the normal or even easy way. But hey Cornelius - he should share your motto. In fact all three of you are quite some original caracters - and I wouldnt miss any of your posts.:)

Best regards

V

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
All personal issues aside lets continue with more theories and ideas. New faces and opinions are welcome. Many discoveries have come about from different disciplines who may look at something in a different light. As they say...think out of the box or should I say "sand box"?

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
bigcypresshunter said:
RGecy said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Its a matter of thixotropics. :D

Are you sure you are using that term properly?
Not sure. I borrowed the word from Cappy Z's ongoing thixotropic sand experiments.
RGecy said:
But, where did the coins come from????????? Did they wash in or are they washing out?
I would say both, depending upon the location.
Lighter objects like thin coins, spikes, or sheathing are thrown ashore when the waves can get under them I have no doubt. Heavier bricks may be hard to move, although I have seen large rocks deposited on the beach. If treasure is in the dunes, they can be exposed from wave erosion. I am certainly no expert, but I look for large shell (pic)and rock deposits which often contain other goodies. I dont waste my time in thin wind blown sand deposits.

When I was just a kid we used to take our homade Swamp Buggies and run the beach. BUT there were section that you NEVER stopped in because if you did chances were you would get stuck.
This area consisted of RED SHELL and it really stood out and was easy to see. This stuff would not compact very easy but after a few high tides it would get covered up with the white sand and if a storm were through there would be a cut in the beach.
This was in the Titusville-Playalinda area which is now the National Seashore Park.
This would be a great area to MD-the Red Shell area that is and not the NSSP.
Peg Leg

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Just saw some photos of the beach erosion that is taking place right now at the Cape.
I unerstand that about 100 yeards of beach is gone and is heading south.
According to the photos only large shells are left including some large conch shells-not much sand showing up in the photos.
Peg Leg

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Huganut (i cant spell it that's good nuff) park you can't get on the beach with a vehicle anymore because the road washed out. I will bring ole blue tomorrow to work and get on that way. Probably going to be a few days before they get the road fixed there.

More rain tonight perhaps..... could be promising.. i already found some stuff in areas around both north and south, now with this latest washout, and others reporting washouts and erosion around town, there should be plenty more ..

Merrrrivida here I come, digging up another one, la la de da da.

aaron

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
What I would love to know: From a typical wreck site in about 15 feet of water, how many coins stayed where they fell? How many reached the trough in front of the beach? How many reached the beach itself? How far north or south did they move?

If Peg Leg gathers imprecise results, more power to him. Right now I don't have any results at all.

Chip V.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Any results will be revealing and piece by piece a pattern will emerge that may enable one to predict where some items have ended up or are in the process of going.

go deep

Greenie
Apr 11, 2006
michigan
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
PEGLEG Go for it. I will forward any info on anything found with a number or tag to you with location and or gps site.Will be in the area in march. GO DEEP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions