ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I shot this last week while diving on an old 3 masted shipwreck in Southern Florida. Thought some of you might be interested in seeing this, it's not a 16th century galleon, but it was a cool wreck to dive on. It has some newer type fittings and an iron keel and ribs. The masts were wooden, as was most of the hull. Looks like it's been down there a while. Any insight from those of you more experienced than i am would be great. A wild guess on how long it's been under or approximate construction date would help me out. It had iron sheeting on the bow, and some metal cable if that might help date it. There were some interesting things down there, and I plan to go back and dive it again soon.

Thanks, and enjoy. The visibility was pretty bad on the dive, and the camera operator wasn't much better. :D

Jason

http://www.aquaazuldivers.com/images/jason-1.wmv

Leebo in SC

Jul 4, 2006
Upstate SC
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video Jason. I sent you a couple of PM's did you get them. I can't wait to get get back down there.

Lee

ballbuster

Sep 27, 2006
Nice video Jason. It looks like a real fun dive. Dating these Early schooners can sometimes be difficult. A lot of them were converted as their usefullness became less and less. Many had the masts cut down and were used as barges. The iron on the bow and the cables would indicate to me that there may have been some type of conversion done in its later years. I'd guess 1850's to early 1900's. But I'm no expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one night. Any info on the name of the ship?

Jim

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi Lee, I've been a busy guy with mag surveys and diving lately. Got your PM's, and you know you and your boys are welcome anytime...though I doubt the weather will cooperate much more this year.

Jim, no name yet. I'm interested in the history of it, but haven't had time to go through the local library's and newspapers to see if there was an account, me and my favorite research partner are on bigger and better projects right now. I'll definitely be diving on it again, we found it on the last dive of the day so we didn't get to spend much time investigating, just looked her over and marked the GPS coords. She'd also make a really good side scan image, I plan to do that next time too.

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
Subfinder, thanks for taking the time. you did a fine job. from my chair land locked in n.c. i can find no faults. keep up the great work. look farward to meeting you! b

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Hey Jason,

Cool video man....you're definitely livin' the dream bro' !

Here's something to consider with regard to the cable. The Army Corps of Engineers, Coast Guard, etc., used to locate submerged obstructions by dragging a steel cable or chain between two vessels. According to an old tug boat operator I know, these cables were known to snap on occassion whenever a significant wreck was snagged.

In other words, the cable may be a derelict and not part of the wreck itself. Just something to consider. As you also probably know already, if you could find some indication as to the type of fastners used (nails, spikes, etc.) that may help in the dating and possibly the origin.

Keep us posted man!!!

Pcolaboy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Bro,

thanks for sharing, great video!!!!!...wish I had been there with you

Chagy....

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
PCola, I had considered the possibility of the cable being a snag of some sort. For fasteners, they used what I call pins (round head and round shank). We have a saying here at the museum, pin are round, spike are square. :D There is a piece of wood with a pin still in it that I want to bring up and have dated though, hopefully the viz will be better next time we dive it.

Luis, lets go dive with RelicDude first, I like his other wreck better than this one.

Jason

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That would be cool we can hook-up with Pcolaboy and go check them out....

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hooters and shipwrecks I like it already...What a combination ;D :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread